Changing Direction

Thinking of making a change?

We’re sorry to hear that you may be having second thoughts and hope that we can help you find the best way forward. Making any change is a big decision, so please do make sure that you have talked to your Personal Tutor first. They are there to offer you support, advice and guidance about any difficulties you are going through.

In the meantime, we have also put together the following options for you to consider.

Changing your course

If you feel your course isn’t right for you, please talk to your Personal Tutor. We offer a whole range of courses and there may be one that is right for you, but you just need some help to find it.

Interrupting your studies

Right now, you might be feeling really overwhelmed by everything that is going on in your life and feel like you simply can’t cope with your studies. But you might be surprised by how much that feeling has changed in a few months or a year’s time.

You can suspend your studies for up to 2 years, giving you time to sort out the issues you’re dealing with at the moment and come back to us refreshed and ready to focus on your studies again.

Your Personal Tutor will again be happy to talk to you about this option, or you can get advice from your School Registry Office.

Getting some support

We have a number of support services available and our staff are used to dealing with a wide range of student problems and will do their best to help you.

If you feel you need some help, you may like to contact:

If you feel like you could do with some support with your studies, the Learning Development Unit can help. They work with students on all courses and at all levels and specialise in providing support and advice on all aspects of academic work. You can email them at or phone them on 01494 603070.

Contact the Student Finance Team if you have money worries or need information and advice on loans and grants.

This is a free, completely confidential service that can offer a helpful listening ear and support. You can find the Counselling team at N1.12 on the High Wycombe campus, or contact or 01494 605 018.

This is a 24/7, free, anonymous, online support community made up of your peers who could well be going through exactly the same issues as you. You can find them at

Whatever your faith, or even if you have none, the Multi-Faith Chaplaincy can offer pastoral and spiritual support. Find them in N1.11 on the High Wycombe campus or email

The Accommodation Service can help you with housing problems, or if you are experiencing issues with your university managed accommodation.

The Students’ Union Advice Centre offers free, independent advice on a range of things, from accommodation to legal advice. They are always happy to help however they cam. Email them at or phone 01494 603 016 (High Wycombe) or 01494 605180 (Uxbridge).