In a rapidly changing world, driven by the evolving power of technology and shifts in consumer habits and business practices, marketing is critical to the success of all types of organisation, in both the private and public sectors, at both a local and global level. Using the teaching team’s extensive industry and professional connections, this course reflects this new and dynamic marketing landscape, covering everything from understanding the consumer to the latest developments in the role of digital technology in modern marketing.
Our BA (Hons) in Marketing will help give you a comprehensive understanding of the role of marketing in this changing landscape, aligned with a portfolio of practical skills about how to develop and deploy marketing as an effective business tool.
This will be underpinned by developing higher level skills in problem solving, creative thinking and collaborative working, in a manner that will encourage students to acquire a desire for life-long learning as they develop their careers.
The course will help you to develop the vital skills and knowledge you need to work in teams. This will be done by group projects and assignments, including live briefs from real clients. In addition you will have the opportunity to attend industry guest speaker lectures, and visit to major clients, research agencies and other marketing specialist organisations. Over the entire course you will have the opportunity to acquire skills in leadership and management whilst understanding how marketing operates alongside of other business disciplines at both an operational and strategic level.
On this programme, you will be exposed to, and more informed of, the different types of roles, jobs and career pathways to be found in marketing, such as brand and marketing managers, consultants, researchers and emerging areas, such as e-commerce and data analysts.
Regular contact with the academic teaching team, across the course will help support you in defining which career pathway you may choose as you progress through the programme.
Staff will use experiential teaching, blended with an understanding of both established and emerging practices and theoretical thinking to enhance your understanding and skills, as well as your ability to think critically and apply justified solutions in real world situations.
Who is this course for?
Students whose prior studies have included business, psychology, sociology, media and English can continue to explore these subject areas with a marketing focus.
It may also be of interest to mature applicants who have experience of working in a front-line customer service role, or who have run their own business, and want to formalise their practical experience with an acknowledged qualification.
The Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM)
The Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM) is the leading professional body for marketers worldwide and exists to develop the marketing profession, maintain professional standards and improve the skills of marketing practitioners. Bucks New University has joined forces with CIM to give students the opportunity to gain professional qualifications through CIM Graduate Gateway. CIM qualifications are highly sought after by employers, and map alongside our own degrees which ensures we are equipping students with the best opportunities for a successful marketing career.
More placements, more choices
Bucks is a Placements Plus university. So, whatever degree you do, you can be sure there’ll be plenty of industry-relevant opportunities on offer, to help you get into your chosen field.
We’ll also prepare you for work beforehand, with special skills for work training, further boosting your CV, and building skills employers will value. In recognition of the value we place on these skills we have incorporated this experience into your study time.
Placements Plus is all about helping you get some valuable experience under your belt while you’re a student. To increase your choices later, and help you get the graduate-level job you want.
UCAS CODE: N502
The one consistent factor in the modern business and marketing world is change. This course aims to provide you with knowledge of how to understand and deploy best practice in marketing in order to successfully begin a career in marketing, whilst at the same time help give you the skills which will enable you to develop your career as that world continues to change.
On this programme, you will:
- develop a commercial mind-set that links marketing to business at both a tactical and strategic level
- develop a clear understand of the evolving role and importance of the consumer in modern marketing
- develop an understanding of the critical role of digital technology in business and marketing, and where and how this can be used effectively and efficiently
- critically assess leading-edge thinking and practice, and ascertain its potential use
- acquire a wide range of business and employability skills, which makes you able to deal creatively, work empathetically and solve problems
- gain a strategic and global view with recurring themes throughout of problem solving, creative thinking and developing empathy
- benefit from live projects and scenarios wherever possible so that you can apply your learning and understand how to deal with real world situations
- benefit from guest lecturers, who will be used throughout the programme to demonstrate the relevance of the teaching in a real life context
- benefit from interactive seminar sessions and smaller group sizes, which helps facilitate a personal contact approach, high levels of student engagement and effective personal tutoring.
What are the course entry requirements?
A typical offer will be a UCAS Tariff score of 80. A minimum of two full A-levels (or equivalent) is required. Every application is considered on an individual basis.
For further details of our international English entry requirements, please visit our international pages.
Applicants who do not meet the minimum requirements for the three-year undergraduate programme, or those who do not feel fully prepared for a degree course, can apply for a four-year programme including a Foundation Year; find out more.
This module map provides a list of the modules that make up your course. You can find more information about how your course is structured on our Academic Advice section.
The modules available on this course are as follows:
Year 1 Modules
- Global Business environment
- Graduate Challenge
- Consumer Psychology
- Principles of Marketing
- Marketing Communications
- Organisational Behaviour
- Career Viewpoint
- Data Insight for Business Decisions
Year 2 Modules
- Business Consulting
- Strategic Marketing
- Contemporary Business Economics
- Enterprise and Entrepreneurship
- Consulting in practice
- Operations and Service Management
- Digital Business and New Technologies
- Customer Experience
Year 3 Modules
- Research Methods
- Strategic Agility
- International Marketing Management
- Consumer Brand Relationship
- Managing & Developing Innovation and Creativity
- Change Management and organisation Development (optional)
- IMC Strategy and Planning (optional)
- Dissertation (optional)
- Consultancy Project (optional)
How much does it cost
Full Time Home and EU, Academic Year 2020-2021: £9,250 per year
Full Time International, Academic Year 2020-2021: £12,500 per year
Most courses will involve some additional costs that are not covered by your fees.
You could benefit from financial support through a bursary or scholarship during your time as a student. For more details visit our financial support, bursaries and scholarships section.
How do I apply?
For application details please visit bucks.ac.uk/applying-to-bucks