Support available to you

General advice

Our enquiries team are a great first point of contact if you want any advice before joining Bucks. You can get in touch about anything to do with your course, visa application, Biometric Residence Permit, or anything else relating to coming to Bucks New University.

Our Students’ Union Advice Centre can advise on all sorts of practical and admin issues, including visas and UK employment rules. There’s also a Student Centre in both our High Wycombe and Uxbridge campuses, to help with finance queries and letters you might need when opening a bank account or registering with a doctors.

As a first year international student, we can guarantee you accommodation in one of our comfortable, well-equipped halls of residence. If you’d prefer to live in privately rented property, our accommodation service can help with that. They can also support you with any issues to do with your living arrangements once you’re here.

If you feel your academic skills could do with a boost, or need help adjusting to what’s required of you as a UK student, our Learning Development Unit can help you with things like essay writing and research skills. They even run special Headstart courses you can attend over the summer if you want to brush up on your academic or writing skills before term starts.

Making the journey through higher education can be hard sometimes – and harder still if you’re outside your own country. If you ever feel like you need some extra emotional support, we can arrange some free, confidential counselling for you.

You can also access one-to-one support through our buddying scheme both before and after you come to Bucks. And you may be able to get a mentor too, to help with building your confidence, developing your skills or providing career direction.