Once you're here

Arriving in a new country can feel like a big move. You’ll be in a new environment; the culture and education system may be different to what you’re used to; and you may miss home, particularly in your first few weeks.

Remember that, while things at first can feel very different, most students settle in quickly. There’s a lot happening around our campuses to keep you occupied and help you immerse yourself in our university life.

We’ve got exciting plans to help you settle in, events to help you meet new friends and support services to make sure you get the most out of your time here. To help you prepare, we’ve created a Bucks Welcome section, which hosts everything you need to know before you get here, what to expect when you arrive, where the best places are for a night out, and more.

And if you need further support, there’s plenty on offer – from help with any practical issues through our Students’ Union Advice Centre, to buddies, mentors, and support with your English for academic purposes.

If you are studying with us on a student visa, there are a few things you’ll need to do when you first get here.

Pick up your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)

You need to collect your BRP within 10 days of arriving. This will be waiting for you at a local post office (see your visa decision letter for which one to go to).

When you pick up your BRP, make sure all the details on it are correct. It will list your eligibility period for study in the UK and how many hours you are allowed to work, if at all, alongside your studies. You will need your BRP and passport with you when you enrol on your course.

Check if you need to register with the police

Your visa conditions may state that you need to register with the police as well. See the Government website to check if this applies to you. If you need to do this, make sure you do it within seven days of arriving in the country.

Find a doctor

If you paid a health surcharge, you also need to register with a local NHS practice. Our Student Centre can help you find a doctor near to where you live. It’s a good idea to do this as soon as you can, to make sure you can get the care you need if you become ill.

Abide by your visa conditions

Finally, it’s important to remember you have certain responsibilities as an international student on a Tier 4 visa in the UK. These include abiding by your working restrictions, not drawing on state benefits, and remembering to notify the Home Office and University if your circumstances change or you change your address.