Welcome to the Department of Computing
Computers and technology infiltrate almost every part of our lives. Whether it’s for work, leisure or simply communicating with others, we can’t ignore the crucial importance of digital technology to us, both personally and professionally.
Within computing, our aim is to provide relevant, up-to-date courses for individuals keen to make a difference in a high-tech world. For example, malicious attacks on IT systems are among the most common issues affecting organisations. So, we offer a number of innovative courses on cyber security, as well as degrees in computing and web development.
We help our computing graduates develop as adaptable and flexible problem solvers, who can use their understanding of computer systems, technology and software to address end user needs and business requirements, in different organisations and contexts.
Our team of knowledgeable academics and specialist professionals use their collective experience from academia, industry and commerce to deliver inspiring, industry-relevant courses.
Students go on to use their training at Bucks, and associated learning, as a springboard to realise their career aspirations across varied application areas of computing and IT – from web design, network administration and IT support, to data analysis, software, games and app development, and teaching.
Take a look at our computing courses
- BSc (Hons) Artificial Intelligence
- BSc (Hons) Artificial Intelligence with Foundation Year
- BSc (Hons) Computing
- BSc (Hons) Computing with Foundation Year
- BSc (Hons) Computing and Web Development
- BSc (Hons) Computing and Web Development with Foundation Year
- BSc (Hons) Cyber Security
- BSc (Hons) Cyber Security with Foundation Year
- BSc (Hons) Games Development
- BSc (Hons) Games Development with Foundation Year
- BA (Hons) Independent Games Production
- BA (Hons) Independent Games Production with Foundation Year
- BSc (Hons) Software Engineering
- BSc (Hons) Software Engineering with Foundation Year
- FDSc Computing
- MSc Cyber Security
- Small class sizes mean students develop close working relationships with their classmates and tutors in a friendly, supportive and effective learning environment.
- Course assignments reflect real-life problems to give students experience that prepares them for work after leaving university.
- Through careful choice of either a defined award or module options on a course, students can select a curriculum that matches their future career plans.
- Our course portfolio changes to meet the current and future trends within employment sectors that rely on computing and IT.
- Our courses are designed in line with industry requirements and specialist frameworks. Our cyber security courses, for example, are based on the principles of the IISP Information Security Skills Framework. Other courses incorporate the guidance and requirements of the British Computer Society, the professional body that represents professionals working in information technology.
- We run the Amazon Web Services (AWS) Academy at Bucks which means that students get access to materials and tools commonly used in industry.
- Equipment and facilities experience regular upgrades with computer hardware and software.
Our courses are developed in consultation with industry, professional bodies and alumni, to give our graduates the necessary technical skills, transferable skills, personal characteristics and business awareness employers are looking for.
We use applied research and technology to inform the way we deliver our courses and support students’ learning and assessment. Our aim, above all, is to design courses that reflect contemporary issues and practices in the constantly-changing and developing areas of computing.
Tutors, supported by our careers service, use their project work and external networks to connect students with employers for work experience and other opportunities.
Amazon Web Services Academy Member
We partner with Amazon to run the Amazon Web Services (AWS) Academy at Bucks, helping students gain industry-standard knowledge and skills, to further enhance their career prospects.
As part of our Cloud Computing module, students have full access to Amazon Web Services resources, materials, labs, online assessments and exam preparation materials. They can practise the technology provided by the world cloud leader, undertake a free Amazon Web Services official certification MOC exam, and get a 50% discount on Amazon Web Services (Cloud Architecture) official certification exam (if they wish to sit this). For more information, contact Dr Rafid Al-Khannak.
Our students get access to specialist computer suites and facilities. Cyber security students attend sessions in our dedicated networking lab for modules involving aspects of computer networks, cloud-based development or security. Games students work on high-spec computers for modelling, rendering, games development and virtual reality work.