Welcome to the Department of Art and Design
We have been delivering expert craft, art and design education for over 110 years, and our commitment to delivering a contemporary curriculum that evolves with the demands of industry ensures the currency of our courses.
Our students enjoy a friendly, supportive and stimulating learning environment, and benefit from an approach to teaching that prioritises the importance of ‘hands-on’ experience. We place an emphasis on developing students’ creativity, confidence and competencies.
Bucks will provide you with the knowledge required to take your creative ideas from concept to reality. We will help you learn about, and hone, your design approaches and processes, within our excellent facilities.
Most importantly, the skills and experience you gain will open up fulfilling career opportunities in the arts and creative industries.
Take a look at our art and design courses
- BA (Hons) Costume Design and Making
- BA (Hons) Costume Design and Making with Foundation Year
- BA (Hons) Creative Advertising
- BA (Hons) Creative Advertising with Foundation Year
- BA (Hons) Creative Advertising (Top-up)
- BA (Hons) Creative Brand Communications
- BA (Hons) Creative Brand Communications with Foundation Year
- BA (Hons) Fashion Design
- BA (Hons) Fashion Design with Foundation Year
- BA (Hons) Fashion Design (Top-up)
- BA (Hons) Fashion and Textiles
- BA (Hons) Fashion and Textiles with Foundation Year
- BA (Hons) Fashion Promotion and Communication
- BA (Hons) Fashion Promotion and Communication with Foundation Year
- BA (Hons) Graphic Design
- BA (Hons) Graphic Design with Foundation Year
- BA (Hons) Graphic Design (Top-up)
- BA (Hons) Hair and Make-up for the Film Industry
- BA (Hons) Illustration
- BA (Hons) Illustration (Top-up)
- BA (Hons) Illustration with Foundation Year
- BA (Hons) Interior and Spatial Design
- BA (Hons) Interior and Spatial Design with Foundation Year
- BA (Hons) Interior and Spatial Design (Top-up)
- BA (Hons) Multimedia Journalism
- BA (Hons) Multimedia Journalism with Foundation Year
- BA (Hons) Photography
- BA (Hons) Photography with Foundation Year
- BA (Hons) Product Design
- BA (Hons) Product Design with Foundation Year
- BA (Hons) Product Design (Top-up)
- BA (Hons) Product Design: Interior Product
- BA (Hons) Product Design: Interior Product (Top-up)
- BA (Hons) Product Design: Interior Product with Foundation Year
- BSc (Hons) Product Design
- BSc (Hons) Product Design with Foundation Year
- BSc (Hons) Product Design (Top-up)
- BA (Hons) Product Design (Screen and Stage)
- BA (Hons) Product Design (Screen and Stage) with Foundation Year
- BSc (Hons) Sports Product Design
- BSc (Hons) Sports Product Design with Foundation Year
- BA (Hons) Textile Design
- BA (Hons) Textile Design with Foundation Year
- BA (Hons) Textile Design (Top-up)
- Diploma in Foundation Studies in Art, Design and Media
- Foundation Degree (Arts) Kitchen Design - Distance learning
- MA Period Hair and Wig Design
- MA Prosthetics and Sculpting
Through a vast network of industry connections, Bucks New University has a long tradition of producing successful graduates who excel in the creative fields.
Applied learning is fundamental to our approach, blending academic study with real-world experiences. Exploring different modes of art and design practice, our students develop a sophisticated approach to design-led projects, undertake research, and achieve proficiency of a wide range of concepts, techniques and processes.
Adopting both traditional and digital approaches to design, our graduates use their ideas, skills and knowledge to create innovative design solutions, applying their expertise to live industry projects.
- Our Advertising students take advantage of our links with big name agencies like BBH, AMV BBDO, RAPP UK & NY, M&C Saatchi, Mother, Grey, Dare, Ogilvy, Saatchi & Saatchi, Razorfish and more.
- Recent live projects for our Illustration students have included Faber Publishing, Mind Design, and Creative Review. We have even had a visit from Olivier Rabenschlag, Creative Director of Google, who was himself a Bucks graduate.
- Bucks Graphics students take part in live briefs with companies such as Puma and Williams Murray Hamm, and undertake work experience with companies such as Wallpaper, Dragon Rouge and Rankin.
Every year is different and we maintain close relationships with industry to stay ahead of evolving needs and challenges.
Art and design education is supported by excellent specialist facilities at Bucks.
Our workshops feature industry-standard equipment, with a diverse range of traditional and state-of-the-art resources. This unique environment enables students to explore new and traditional skills and technologies in the areas of printmaking, screen printing, sewing and garment production, wood, metal, fine metals, ceramics, model making and mould-making.
Technologies range from traditional to digital, with dedicated computer suites, photography studio, darkroom, laser cutters, and rapid prototyping, as well as CAD/CAM and 3D printing facilities housed in our FabLab (fabrication laboratory).
Students in art and design enjoy their own dedicated studio spaces and timetabled workshop access, giving them the freedom and flexibility to explore and develop their practice. Workshop areas are supported by a strong team of highly-skilled and dedicated technicians who contribute positively to the students’ learning experience.
- We hold an annual creative student showcase, open to the public during the summer at our High Wycombe Campus. Our students also showcase their work at several industry events around London.
- Students from our art and design courses have an exceptional range of opportunities working with industry partners, including The National Trust, John Lewis, Hettich and local charities.
- High Wycombe is the chair making and furniture capital of the UK, with records dating back to 1732. The furniture-making tradition lives on in aspects of product design as well as kitchen design.
- Many students gain employment in their chosen field even before they graduate.
- Many of our alumni find successful careers in the creative industries. For example, graduates in interior and spatial design are currently working for renowned organisations such as V&A London, GMW Architects, The Society of British Theatre Designers, Country Living Magazine and Sledge Marketing London.