Our directorates are the important professional services providing administrative support to the University.
They range from marketing our courses and keeping the website running, to providing students with support from enrolment to graduation.
Working in partnership with the faculties, AQD supports a range of services and processes which assure and enhance the student experience. Our work covers the following areas:
Academic Assessment & Conduct
Academic appeals, academic misconduct, mitigating circumstances, fitness to practise, examinations and certification
Approval & review
Validation / revalidation of the University’s programmes, annual and periodic reviews of Departmental, Faculty and University provision
University Committees (including Governing Body), policies and regulations, external examiners and audit-related activities
UK/EU and international partnership arrangements (including compliance activities), Erasmus and student exchange programmes
Research degrees, research staff administration, projects, ethics and administration for the research excellence framework
We advise the University on sector requirements and best practice in each of these areas, providing a fair and consistent quality framework while safeguarding standards. We also support the implementation of University and Faculty strategies.
For enquiries please email AQD@bucks.ac.uk.
The Business Planning Directorate supports the Vice-Chancellor & the Senior Management Team in making decisions to fulfil the University’s strategic plan. Functions include:
- to coordinate the strategic planning process whereby Faculties and Directorate's objectives are agreed and incorporated into the overall Strategic Plan;
- to make recommendations about the overall development of the separate business plans in line with University strategies;
- to undertake analysis and special projects with a strategic focus;
- to coordinate and undertake the key statutory returns;
- to coordinate and develop with senior colleagues the key performance metrics required to measure success in meeting our strategic objectives.
The aim of the Estates and Facilities Directorate is to create and maintain a physical environment that meets the University’s business needs and provides a great student experience. The directorate provides the following services:
- fuel monitoring and carbon reduction management
- waste and water management
- space management
- building infrastructure
- capital building works and client project management
- minor building works and services management
- building maintenance and mechanical and electrical services maintenance
We were shortlisted for a Times Higher Education Leadership and Management Award in the Outstanding Estates Team category for our projects in the 2014/5 academic year which include the multi-million pound Human Performance, Exercise and Wellbeing Centre, and a £4.5 million re-development of the South Wing which hosted learning and teaching areas, more informal space for students, and an advanced clinical skills laboratory with eight-bay hospital ward and interactive medical and teaching aids.
Inside South Wing, we developed 'The Room' which is a 220sqm flexible, multi-purpose space, hosting events from exhibitions and shows to film screenings and music nights.
The Finance Directorate supports the University by adding value through its strategic functions of:
- collecting fees and charges,
- payment of suppliers,
- ensuring best value procurement and
- consolidating all managements accounts.
- Financial report 2014-15 (pdf)
- Financial report 2013-14 (pdf)
- Financial report 2012-13 (pdf)
- Financial report 2011-12 (pdf)
- Financial report 2010-11 (pdf)
- Financial report 2009-10 (pdf)
- Financial report 2008-09 (pdf)
- Financial report 2007-08 (pdf)
- Financial report 2006-07 (pdf)
You can also view our Terms and Conditions of Purchase.
Human Resources are responsible for the development of effective policies and procedures in line with the University’s strategic plan and people strategy. Its functions include:
- resource and succession planning;
- recruitment and selection;
- employee relations;
- Trade Union negotiation and consultation;
- grievance, sickness, discipline, and performance management;
- pay and conditions of service;
- management statistics;
- learning and development
- equality and diversity.
Find out more about working at Bucks.
The IT Directorate provides the entire IT infrastructure in the University along with service and support for all University desktops and laptops. The directorate provides access to:
- online support services
- open access PC clusters
- email and internet services
- wireless access across all campuses
- printing facilities
- network document storage
- the University’s virtual learning environment, and more.
Phone: 01494 605000 or Ext 5000Email: email@example.com
The Learning and Teaching directorate encompasses a range of student facing services with support available from before application through to graduation, and for up to two years after they leave.
Careers & Employability
Careers Information, Advice & Guidance, Bucks Mentoring and Bucks Alumni.
Learning Development Unit For student support and guidance through workshops, 1:1 tutoring and online information. The LDU has expertise in student learning, academic writing, maths, research and assessments.
A dedicated team which supports students and staff on technology-enhanced-learning, including responsibility for Blackboard and Turnitin.
Provides academic staff development, runs the Continuous Professional Development framework and holds responsibility for student evaluation surveys.
Find out more in our Careers & Employability page.
The Marketing and Student Recruitment Directorate are responsible for the Bucks brand, the marketing of our courses and of Bucks as a first choice provider. The team work hard to recruit students each year, dealing with applications from all over the world.
Staff attend higher education fairs, handle 1000’s of phone calls, manage our email enquiries and organise our numerous Open Days and evening events.
The directorate also work on Widening Participation through our Schools and Colleges Liaison team.
The Student Services Directorate encompasses a range of professional support services which fully complement the student experience at Bucks. Our aim is to offer the best possible guidance and resources to enable students to gain as much as they can from their time at Bucks. Our services include:
University Communications generates awareness and visibility of Bucks, creating public and media interest to help raise its profile and reputation at a national, regional and local level.
Acting as the press office, the team handles media enquiries, news releases and crisis communications, and manages internal communication with staff and students.
For external enquiries, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.