Bucks Healthy At Home
Bucks New University recognises that the Covid-19 situation is unpredictable and we anticipate that social distancing will remain in place for some time yet. This is an unsettling time for many and can affect the wellbeing of our students and staff. We have created Bucks Healthy at Home wellbeing tips to help students and staff support and manage their mental health during these challenging times. See below to explore our tips on:
- Keen for routine
- Energise your mind
- Connect and share
- Let's get physical
- Ask for help.
Tip #1 - Settle on a daily/weekly schedule to establish positive habits and goals by making use of goal setting on TogetherAll to help you plan your daily routine. Log-in using your Bucks email address and explore the website! https://togetherall.com/en-gb/
Tip #2 - The current situation gives us time on our hands so why try something new and keep your mind active? Whether it’s a task round the house, a new craft or hobby, or learning a new language or instrument, have a go. There’s also free wellbeing courses on TogetherAll to check out, from ‘Positive Thinking’ to ‘Assertiveness Training’. https://togetherall.com/en-gb/
Tip #3 - A simple hello can be so important, whether it’s on the phone, email or social media – stay connected. You can use anything from #Facetime, to #Zoom, #Skype and #WhatsApp to chat to friends and family, or try a virtual pub quiz if you’re feeling competitive! TogetherAll offers 24/7 online peer support where you can reach out to others anonymously for support. Take a look at https://togetherall.com/en-gb/
Tip #4 - Regular exercise can have a profoundly positive impact on your mental health - so keep moving – and ensure you’re also eating a well-balanced diet and sleeping well.
Try any of the free exercise sessions through Bucks Gateway Gym Live or rustle up a healthy meal through a recipe online. There’s plenty of options. TogetherAll also has free wellbeing courses including ‘Improve Your Sleep’ so you wake up feeling refreshed and energised - www.bigwhitewall.com. See the bottom of this page for the full Bucks Gateway Gym Live timetable.
Tip #5 - These unprecedented times are challenging for everyone and we all deal with our emotions differently - and that is OK! Our Counselling team (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Multi-faith Chaplaincy (email@example.com) are here to support you if you need them. You could also reach out to a trained clinician who’s a ‘Wall Guide’ on TogetherAll to show you how our 24/7 emotional support service can also best help you - https://togetherall.com/en-gb/
Additional Support Services
1. Bucks Support Services continue to be available to students who are experiencing any concerns at this time, this may be about anything from your health to your studies or your finances (and everything in between!). Reach out to The Student Centre TheStudentCentre@bucks.ac.uk with any questions or comments.
2. Students Union Advice - Concerned about your finances? Worried about your job? Struggling with your landlord? The Students Union Advice Centre continue to offer advice and support to students, you can contact them on SUAdvice@bucks.ac.uk
3. Your Bucks Students Union are still here and working hard to make sure your students voice is heard as well as planning remote activity’s to keep your entertained in this time.Check out the Bucks Bulletin on our website for a weekly drop of our activities, https://www.bucksstudentsunion.org/news/article/6013/Bucks-Bulletin/
4. TogetherAll - Are you interested in online peer support and free wellbeing courses? TogetherAll is an excellent resource available to students and staff. Check out TogetherAll - https://togetherall.com/en-gb/
5. Fika - Bucks have partnered with mental fitness app Fika during COVID-19. The app includes dedicated series of programmes allowing students to learn from expert psychologists, other students, academics and professional athletes in five-minute video, audio and text programmes. You can download the app in the app store and log-in to the app using your Bucks email address.
Gateway Gym Timetable
On our Facebook and Twitter pages we have launced the #BucksHealthyAtHome campaign where you can engage with our top 5 tips by showing us your pictures, videos and comments on how you are staying healthy at home. You can also keep up-to-date with the latest support, advice and guidance, as well as what else is happening here at Bucks through following any of our social media channels below.