We welcome applications for research degrees aligned to Higher Education in each of the areas listed below. Potential supervisors are shown with a summary of their areas of research expertise. Further details can be found on their staff profile page which also links to their publications. You are welcome to contact a potential supervisor for an informal discussion before submitting your application.
Current research student projects in this area are listed below.
Dr Dorin Festeu (physical exercise/depression; educational projects in non-formal education; entrepreneurship; e-learning; health rehabilitation; employability; engineering and innovation)
Dr Nic Fryer (philosophy of Jacques Rancière; drama; theatre and performance pedagogy; devised performance and reflective practice)
Dr Maurice Gledhill
Dr Keiran Henderson (exercise science; physiology; cardio/blood pressure; education)
Dr Alan Hockley (widening participation; landscape and walking; education; outdoor pedagogy)
Dr Simon Lee-Price (education support; writing; teaching writing)
Dr Richard Mather (learning programming; forestry; education; environment)
Dr Cheryl Pitt (family and child psychosocial wellbeing and health; adaptation to chronic illness in childhood; lifespan and adult development; career development and lifelong learning)
Dr Julia Robertson (evolutionary psychology; faciometrics in research related to masculinity/ femininity; teaching and learning of Research Methods in HE)
Dr Chris Sambrook (fly-tipping; counterfeit pesticides; policing education)
Dr Ina Stan (outdoor education; health/body image primary school)
- How does the ethos of school counselling relate to the ethos of the host primary school?
- Determining predictors of success or vulnerability in learning subjects related to computer programming towards more timely remedial intervention and improving undergraduate progression.
- Against the odds! An examination of the factors that influence the success of mature learners.
- Understanding first year widening participation students' experience of assessment.
- Undergraduate therapeutic radiography: perceptions on curricula and preparedness for practice using an appreciative inquiry approach.
- From Police Training to Police Education: the Introduction of the Police Education Qualification Framework.
- How do students from a ‘non-traditional’ background understand and construct the concept of ‘self’ and ‘others’? A hybrid action research model.
- Student-staff partnerships in higher education: a shared view meaning and process.
- Pedagogic strategies to support practice learning in specialised clinical learning environments: A Grounded Theory Approach.