Top tips for new students
Hello! I’m Shannon, a third year Performing Arts student. Like you, I was once beginning my Bucks journey. Here is a list of tips that helped me out as a first year:
- Go to freshers fair - Freshers fair is a brilliant way to find out more about societies and what the uni can offer in general. Lots of companies come in and offer student deals and free stuff, like food and stationery! It’s definitely worth going to to get information and free pizza!
- Join a society - Societies are such a good way to meet people and build your confidence up. You can join as many as you want and they fit around your studies. At Bucks they are also part of the ‘Big Deal’ which means they are all FREE!
- Create a weekly budget - Coming to uni can be a very stressful time, as you have to think about expenses which maybe you’ve never thought about before! The best thing to do is create your own weekly budget. This can include money for food, essentials and any activities you want to do. Doing this will help you keep on top of your spending!
- Be social -The Students’ Union puts on so many events, from nights out to quizzes, and more. Going to these events really helps you put yourself out there. It’s also a great place to meet new people.
- Sign up to student discount apps - Being a student definitely has its perks! You can download apps to your phone which gives you great discounts at restaurants, shops and days out among other things. UNIDAYS and StudentBeans are two of my favourites. They can really help you save money and they're free!
- Make sure you ask for help - Sometimes assignments can be difficult, but don’t hesitate to ask for help! Whether it's from your lecturers, the student Learning Development Unit or even counselling. People are there to help you, and it’s so important you reach out when you need it! You don’t need to feel like you have to do it alone.
Remember, everyone is in the same boat. Going to university can be scary, but just take each thing as it comes and enjoy yourself!