Our Uxbridge Campus in West London is where our nursing and advanced health science courses take place. A central part of the Operating Department Practice involves making use of our state-of-the-art simulation suites – where students can practise and hone their skills in realistic clinical environments. We also make use of simulation facilities on our courses at High Wycombe.
High Wycombe Campus facilities
We have simulation suites on our High Wycombe Campus as well, including:
- Two adult simulation labs with four beds each set up as adult wards –which can also be configured to be one large, eight-bed clinical ward setting
- A simulated living room, with viewing gallery suitable for community home visiting or counselling sessions
- Operating theatre/Anaesthetic room equipped with appropriate medical devices found within the clinical environment including Eshmann operating table, operating light, scrub sinks, diathermy machine, cell salvage machine, full gas supply GE Healthcare Anaesthetic machine, fiberoptic laryngoscope, c-mac laryngoscope surgical instruments and associated equipment. This room is joined to an observation area with integral HD camera system for debrief and feedback.
- Recovery Room/Pre op equipped with 3 recovery spaces and 1 preop bay with full gas supply throughout. Crash trolley, defibrillator, transfer and emergency equipment are all available within this area. This room is joined to an observation area with integral HD camera system for debrief and feedback.
- Police custody suite
- A home environment
- A magistrates court room
Uxbridge Campus facilities
Most of our simulation suites are in Uxbridge. These facilities are all highly realistic and give student a great opportunity to deepen their knowledge and skills in practical working environments. Our facilities include:
- Three adult simulation labs set up as a clinical ward, one with three beds and two with four beds. These can be configured to be one 11 bed clinical ward setting with a nurses’ station
- An accident and emergency/intensive therapy unit simulation lab with ceiling hoist, hand basin and bath
- A community area with hand basin, toilet, bath bed plus a floor and ceiling hoist
- A paediatric/neonatal simulation lab, including two beds, a cot and a resuscitaire
- An outpatient simulation room, consisting of a consulting room with a couch and desk
- An operating theatre with Eschmann bed and scrubbing facilities
- A three bed recovery/high dependency unit
- Two 12-seater rooms that double as viewing galleries or debriefing rooms, with large TV screens
- A counselling room with viewing gallery
Our simulation suites are available to hire for training, filming and other events at both our Uxbridge and High Wycombe campuses.
We can offer bespoke courses created with our technicians. We have a team of technicians available to assist with scenarios and can offer moulage to assist with the authenticity of real life situations. Please note that if you are using any equipment you will require a technician on site. There is an additional cost for technicians and any consumables used.
We have six mobile CCTV / Scotia Medical Observation and Training System (SMOTS) cameras as well as fixed ceiling SMOTS cameras in most simulation rooms. Each camera comprises a 360-degree pan tilt zoom with a highly sensitive microphone and directional loudspeaker. All suites have TV displays which allow simultaneous observation of training and the output can be displayed in any of the skills suites or lecture theatres. We have a range of industry standard mid and high fidelity manikins and human patient simulators, scrub sinks and disposable clinical equipment.
All of our simulation rooms have infrared hearing loops, built-in projectors and screens with audio visual connections, as well as flip charts upon request. We also have equipment available to enable live audio/video streaming.