Our Uxbridge Campus in West London is where our nursing and advanced health science courses take place. A central part of the Operating Department Practice involves making use of our state-of-the-art simulation suites – where students can practise and hone their skills in realistic clinical environments. We also make use of simulation facilities on our courses at High Wycombe.
High Wycombe Campus facilities
We have simulation suites on our High Wycombe Campus as well, including:
- Two adult simulation labs with four beds each set up as adult wards –which can also be configured to be one large, eight-bed clinical ward setting
- A simulated living room, with viewing gallery suitable for community home visiting or counselling sessions
- Operating theatre/Anaesthetic room equipped with appropriate medical devices found within the clinical environment including Eshmann operating table, operating light, scrub sinks, diathermy machine, cell salvage machine, full gas supply GE Healthcare Anaesthetic machine, fiberoptic laryngoscope, c-mac laryngoscope surgical instruments and associated equipment. This room is joined to an observation area with integral HD camera system for debrief and feedback.
- Recovery Room/Pre op equipped with 3 recovery spaces and 1 preop bay with full gas supply throughout. Crash trolley, defibrillator, transfer and emergency equipment are all available within this area. This room is joined to an observation area with integral HD camera system for debrief and feedback.
- Police custody suite
- A home environment
- A magistrates court room
Uxbridge Campus facilities
Most of our simulation suites are in Uxbridge. These facilities are all highly realistic and give student a great opportunity to deepen their knowledge and skills in practical working environments. Our facilities include:
- Three adult simulation labs set up as a clinical ward, one with three beds and two with four beds. These can be configured to be one 11 bed clinical ward setting with a nurses’ station
- An accident and emergency/intensive therapy unit simulation lab with ceiling hoist, hand basin and bath
- A community area with hand basin, toilet, bath bed plus a floor and ceiling hoist
- A paediatric/neonatal simulation lab, including two beds, a cot and a resuscitaire
- An outpatient simulation room, consisting of a consulting room with a couch and desk
- An operating theatre with Eschmann bed and scrubbing facilities
- A three bed recovery/high dependency unit
- Two 12-seater rooms that double as viewing galleries or debriefing rooms, with large TV screens
- A counselling room with viewing gallery
These simulation suites are also available to hire. We can work with organisations to develop bespoke courses or you can hire the venue to deliver your own training. Read more about hiring our simulation spaces.
We have six mobile CCTV/SMOTS cameras and fixed ceiling SMOTS cameras in most simulation rooms, plus all simulation rooms have fixed ceiling OHP’s. We have a range of industry standard mid and high fidelity mannequins and human patient simulators, scrub sinks and disposable clinical equipment*.
We have a team of technicians* that can assist with scenarios and can also offer moulage to assist with the authenticity of the real life simulation. Please call or email us to discuss your requirements.
Tel: 01494 522141 ext 4413
All labs have Infrared hearing loops, large-screen projection for PowerPoint and/or video presentations, flip charts and laptop connection. We also have the equipment to stream live audio/video.
*Technicians and consumables at an extra charge.
Please download this pdf document for information on room sizes and charges.
Scotia Medical Observation and Training system (SMOTS)
Each camera comprises a 360-degree pan tilt zoom with a highly sensitive microphone and directional loudspeaker. The tutor can direct the trainee or patient. These can be recorded or viewed in a teaching room.
All suites have tv displays which allow simultaneous observation of training. The output can be displayed in any of the skills suites or lecture theatres.