This course is offered as a four year programme, including an initial Foundation Year. The Foundation Year will allow you to develop your academic study skills and build confidence in your abilities, identifying your own strengths and development needs for progression onto an undergraduate degree.
During your first year, we will help you identify what employers are looking for from their future recruits, including practical and transferrable skills, personal qualities and business awareness. This new knowledge will lay an excellent foundation for you when you graduate, enabling you to present yourself effectively to employers using a CV, application form and during interviews.
What will this course cover?
We have strong links with a number of sports organisations, many of which sit on the University’s doorstep. These include the National Sports Centre at Bisham Abbey, home to several governing bodies of sport, Leap (County Sports Partnership), and Stoke Mandeville Hospital, birthplace of the Paralympics.
The University has a strong attachment to the Reading Ladies Football Club and also the National League basketball team, London United.
Human Performance Laboratory
You’ll have the opportunity to blend academic study with a professional sports environment. Located within our Human Performance, Exercise and Wellbeing Centre, the Human Performance Laboratory features an indoor three-lane running track that incorporates 3D motion-capture technology. This facility helps to enhance athletes’ performance through improved technique, and also assists with injury prevention and rehabilitation. The Human Performance Laboratory is also equipped for assessing a range of physiological, biomechanical and psychological parameters.
More placements, more choices
Bucks is a Placements Plus university. So, whatever degree you do, you can be sure there’ll be plenty of industry-relevant opportunities on offer, to help you get into your chosen field.
We’ll also prepare you for work beforehand, with special skills for work training, further boosting your CV, and building skills employers will value. In recognition of the value we place on these skills we have incorporated this experience into your study time.
Placements Plus is all about helping you get some valuable experience under your belt while you’re a student. To increase your choices later, and help you get the graduate-level job you want.
UCAS CODE: C613
What are the course entry requirements?
Applicants who do not meet the minimum requirements for the 3-year undergraduate programme, or those who do not feel fully prepared for a Level 4 course, will be considered for the 4-year programme including a Foundation Year. If you wish to enquire further, please send your query along with any academic evidence or references to email@example.com
This module map provides a list of the modules that make up your course. You can find more information about how your course is structured on our Academic Advice section.
The modules available on this course are as follows:
Foundation Year Modules
- Preparing for Success Knowledge and Creativity
- Preparing for Success Self-development and Responsibility
- Inquiry and Research Skills
- Introduction to Sport Development and Performance
Year 1 Modules
- Sport and Society
- Games in Sport and Education
- Professional and Academic Skills for Sport
- Understanding Sport Development
- Introduction to Coaching Theory and Practice
- Sport Psychology: Individual Differences and Group Dynamics
- Human Sciences for Physical Education
- Applied Sports Field Study
Year 2 Modules
- Sport Development Application and Approaches
- Working in Sport Development and Coaching
- Sport, Diversity and Well-being (optional)
- Coaching and Athlete Development
- Performance Analysis (optional)
- Research in Sport and Exercise
- Sports Nutrition (optional)
- Sports Operations Management (optional)
- Understanding People in Sports Business (optional)
- Cognition & Emotion in Sport & Exercise Psychology (optional)
- Applied Sport & Performance Psychology (optional)
- Outdoor Education (optional)
Year 3 Modules
- Strategies in Youth Sport
- Research Dissertation
- Contemporary Coaching Issues (optional)
- Funding for Sport (optional)
- Working and Learning in Exercise Health and Fitness
- Applied Performance Analysis (optional)
- Professional Development and Employability (optional)
- Club Business: Football (optional)
- Small Business and Entrepreneurship (optional)
How much does it cost
Full Time Home and EU, Academic Year 2021-2022: £9,250 per year
Full Time International, Academic Year 2021-2022: £13,750 per year
Most courses will involve some additional costs that are not covered by your fees.
You could benefit from financial support through a bursary or scholarship during your time as a student. For more details visit our financial support, bursaries and scholarships section.
How do I apply?
For application details please visit bucks.ac.uk/applying-to-bucks