- be based at our High Wycombe Campus
- benefit from the full programme
- accelerate your journey into higher education
- develop your confidence and skills in degree-level learning
- enjoy all the great facilities on offer.
The Foundation Year will allow you to develop your academic study skills and build confidence in your abilities, identifying your own strengths and development needs for progression onto an undergraduate degree.
Who organises airline schedules? What’s the best way to deliver goods across the globe? How do you decide on a fleet of aircraft? Join us at Bucks to discover the answers to these questions and more.
We’ve designed this course to help you become part of a fascinating industry that never stops. Working in aviation and logistics management, you’ll be constantly challenged to help keep the world moving.
By the end of the degree, you’ll be ready for a range of rewarding roles at airports, airlines, integrator, 3rd party logistics providers, ground-handlers aircraft manufacturers, and more.
- Benefit from our close proximity and links to London and South East airports
- Immerse yourself in industry with our skills modules and industrial placement year
- Learn from top resources with our Educational Establishment membership status with Airports Council International Europe
- Choose to specialise in the passenger side of the business or in cargo, freight forwarding, supply chain management, construction logistics and more
More placements, more choices
Bucks is a Placements Plus university. So, whatever degree you do, you can be sure there’ll be plenty of industry-relevant opportunities on offer, to help you get into your chosen field.
We’ll also prepare you for work beforehand, with special skills for work training, further boosting your CV, and building skills employers will value. In recognition of the value we place on these skills we have incorporated this experience into your study time.
Placements Plus is all about helping you get some valuable experience under your belt while you’re a student. To increase your choices later, and help you get the graduate-level job you want.
UCAS CODE: ALM4
Did you know 84 flights take off every 60 seconds worldwide? That’s more than one a second! At Bucks, we’re experts in how to make this happen, and we’ve created this course to prepare you for a career in any part of aviation management.
With London and South East airports nearby, you’ll be perfectly placed for networking, hearing about placement opportunities, and applying for great jobs when you graduate.
Throughout the course, you’ll complete a mix of aviation management and logistics modules. Our team will share their academic and practical experience through lectures, interactive seminars, masterclasses and site visits.
We’ll also bring in industry experts from logistics companies and integrators involved in air transport as well as aviation suppliers. They’ll give guest lectures on different topics, provide dissertation support and share employment advice.
Using simulation to problem solve
At Bucks, we recognise roles in this field are hands-on. That’s why you’ll take part in simulated learning experiences throughout the course. We’ll challenge you to play our strategic supply chain game. You’ll make decisions, apply your understanding of logistics, then find out if your choices were correct.
You’ll also have the chance to carry out field work on a trip. This might be exploring how an airline undergoes fleet selection, visiting a large distribution centre, or taking a behind-the-scenes tour of an international airport.
In your final year, you’ll apply everything you’ve learnt to your dissertation or business project. At this point, we’ll challenge you to think strategically and understand how the sector needs to move forward.
Feel part of industry
Connecting you with the industry is important to us. We’re part of the London Heathrow Skills Partnership – this means what you study is influenced by the UK’s largest airport and you’ll be one of the first to hear about opportunities. It also helps us give you an up-to-date picture of what is going on in the industry throughout your studies.
You’ll also benefit from access to CAPA and FlightGlobal subscription services. These provide reports, market intelligence and aviation company data.
We encourage you to become a student member of two industry groups – the Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport in the UK (CILT) and the Royal Aeronautical Society.
And why not join our award-winning Aviation Society? Recent events include tours of NATS, a Boeing Flight Simulator experience at CAE and a tour at easyJet.
What are the course entry requirements?
Foundation Year Modules
- Preparing for Success: Knowledge and Creativity
- Preparing for Success Self-development and Responsibility
- Inquiry and Research Skills
- Introduction to Aviation Tourism and Events
Year 1 Modules
- Principles of Logistics
- Introduction to the Aviation Value Chain
- Air Cargo Operations
- Air Transport - Security and Safety
- Airline and Airport Marketing
- Airport Operations
- Introduction to Finance and Economics
- Professional Skills and Development
Year 2 Modules
- Quantitative Tools for Supply Chain Planning
- Aviation Logistics
- Employment Research and Planning
- Airport Management
- Airline Management
- Management Leadership and Change
- Research Methods
- Ancillary Revenue Management
Year 3 Modules
- Research Project (optional)
- Supply Chain Procurement Strategies
- Contemporary Issues in Supply Chains
- Sustainability Management
- Aviation Finance and Economics
- The Future of the Air Transport Industry
- Business and Enterprise (optional)
How much does it cost
Full Time Home and EU, Academic Year 2020-2021: £9,250 per year
Full Time International, Academic Year 2020-2021: £12,500 per year
Full Time Home and EU, Academic Year 2021-2022: £9,250 per year
Full Time International, Academic Year 2021-2022: £13,750 per year
Most courses will involve some additional costs that are not covered by your fees.
You could benefit from financial support through a bursary or scholarship during your time as a student. For more details visit our financial support, bursaries and scholarships section.
How do I apply?
For application details please visit bucks.ac.uk/applying-to-bucks