Credits: 30 at Level 6.
The course enables you as a healthcare practitioner to gain further knowledge and skills in the assessment and evaluation of the care of patients at risk of deterioration. You will explore the underpinning theory associated with assessment and management of patients who are at risk of deterioration or who are deteriorating.
What will this course cover?
The module will enhance your existing assessment and evaluation skills by introducing related strategies used to recognise, assess, escalate help and manage patients who are at risk of deterioration.
Clinical scenarios will be used to guide you in your knowledge and skills development, appraising the need for timely assessment and appropriate interventions to prevent deterioration.
There are key themes running throughout the module including:
- Recognising the patients at risk of deterioration
- Use of National Early Warning Scores
- Airway, Breathing, Circulation, Disability and Exposure Framework in assessment and evaluation of patients at risk
- Situation, Background, Assessment and recommendation framework to escalate help
- Deteriorating neurological patient
- Deteriorating cardiac patient
- Deteriorating respiratory patient
- Deteriorating septic patient
- Deteriorating renal patient
- Development of assessment, evaluation, clinical judgment, problem solving, decision making and team working through use of group work, clinical scenarios and clinical competencies.
This course can be tailored to local requirements.
This course runs on Thursdays from 10am - 5pm.
What are the course entry requirements?
A healthcare practitioner with a minimum 6 months' experience in a relevant area. The assessment includes a book of clinical competencies to fill in so you will need access to a clinical area where these can be carried out, and a qualified mentor.
How much does it cost
Part Time Home and EU, Academic Year 2020-2021: £990
Most courses will involve some additional costs that are not covered by your fees.
You could benefit from financial support through a bursary or scholarship during your time as a student. For more details visit our financial support, bursaries and scholarships section.
How do I apply?
For application details please visit bucks.ac.uk/applying-to-bucks