Credits: 30 credits at Level 6 and 7.
What will this course cover?
This module provides you with the skills and knowledge required to provide patient-focused care during the anaesthetic phase of the perioperative journey. Throughout the course you have the opportunity to reflect on and analyse the care offered, and use evidence to increase your understanding of the professional issues and inter-professional teamwork in this specialty area.
This course tackles areas of anaesthetics including:
- Assessment and management of changing physiology
- Holistic care and management of a patient during the perioperative journey
- Invasive monitoring
- Anaesthetic types - regional, general and local
- Pharmacology and medication in anaesthesia
- Identification and management of complications, difficult airways or adverse events
- Patient care requirements i.e. maintaining normothermia, patient positioning
- Anatomy and physiology related to anaesthesia and patient care e.g. respiratory system and temperature control
- Role in the perioperative team
- Specialist and advancing practice in the anaesthetic
- Understanding and managing pain
- Anaesthetic machines, monitoring and devices
- Transferring patient between clinical environments
- Evaluate and critique evidence to inform practice
- Human factors in the operating theatre
This course runs on Thursday from 10am - 5pm.
What are the course entry requirements?
60 credit points at Level five or Level six, or demonstration of competence to work both clinically and academically at the Level a minimum of one year experience in the Perioperative environment i.e. anaesthetics, theatre or recovery support.
How much does it cost
Full Time Home and EU, Academic Year 2021-2022: £1,950
Most courses will involve some additional costs that are not covered by your fees.
You could benefit from financial support through a bursary or scholarship during your time as a student. For more details visit our financial support, bursaries and scholarships section.
How do I apply?
For application details please visit bucks.ac.uk/applying-to-bucks