Places are limited.
The MA Screenwriting is designed to equip participants with the knowledge, skills and experience to work in this sector either in the UK or internationally. The programme combines a core set of skills in the area of screenwriting for film and high-end TV with direct experience working alongside industry professionals, learning some of the detailed skills required to develop a commercially viable and original feature film script or series bible, as well as practical insights into personal entrepreneurial skills to foster a successful career.
This MA Screenwriting course has been specifically designed by and is led by industry employers, whose credits include: Saving Private Ryan, Apocalypto, Star Wars: The Force Awakens, Game of Thrones, Darkest Hour, Mad Max: Fury Road, to name a few. The MA will be entirely based at the world famous Pinewood Studios, home of Bond and Star Wars and is made up of three distinct elements:
- During the first term, which runs from September to December, you will learning core principles of screenwriting and key roles in the film industry, and how these apply to enhance the potential and general production values of each individual project.
- During the second term, which runs from January to May, you will work with industry experts to develop more focused skills on the practical duties involved in the development of a complete, one-of- a-kind feature film script or series bible. You will also develop personal entrepreneurial skills to understand about the different working options for screenwriters and how to utilise them in a professional environment. You will also learn how to effectively submit the material to industry professionals including producers, directors and sources of finance, and what is expected from you at a professional level.
- In the third and final term, which runs from May until September, you will work both personally and collaboratively to produce the final draft for the feature film or series bible presented in previous terms, or a dissertation on a chosen subject.
The MA is entirely industry led; you will meet and learn from some of the most recognised and actively working screen writers, script doctors and producers. This will enable you to focus on both building contacts and learning cutting-edge techniques. This MA will provide you with a practical understanding of the production of industry-approved skills, as well as creating pathways into the industry.
- The UK film industry currently contributes £7.7bn to the economy, currently employing 80,000 people with over 30,000 new opportunities over the next few years.
- MA courses will welcome exclusive groups of 18 students max. to ensure valuable contact time with tutors
- Since incorporation in 2012 Creative Media Skills have trained crew members who have worked on many of the major international blockbuster films and high-end TV productions made in the UK such as: Star Wars: The Force Awakens, Rogue One, Spectre, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, Game of Thrones, Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast, Jurassic World 2, Star Wars: The Last Jedi, Marco Polo, Outlander, Jason Bourne, Pan, Wonder Woman, Ready Player One, King Arthur: Legend of the Sword, Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy, Poldark, The Queen, Doctor Dolittle, Mary Poppins, and Solo: A Star Wars Story to name only a few.
What are the course entry requirements?
You should have the equivalent of a British Honours degree (2:1 minimum) in a relevant subject. If you do not have any formal academic qualifications but do have experience in the industry and previous training in a relevant area, we will consider your application on an individual basis. We are very open to those who show relevant experience useful to the degree.
We are happy to consider equivalent qualifications from anywhere in the world.
If English is not your first language an IELTS score of 6.0 or equivalent when you start the course is essential.
An interview is required and you will also need a high quality portfolio according to the course guidelines as part of your application.
We welcome applications from mature students with non-standard qualifications and recognise all other equivalent and international qualifications.
- Research Techniques & Dissertation
- Professional, Collaborative & Entrepreneurial Skills
- Narrative Techniques for Screenwriting
- Script Development: HETV Pilot
- Script Development: Feature Film
How much does it cost
Full Time Home and EU, Academic Year 2020-2021: £9,500
Full Time International, Academic Year 2020-2021: £13,000
Most courses will involve some additional costs that are not covered by your fees.
You could benefit from financial support through a bursary or scholarship during your time as a student. For more details visit our financial support, bursaries and scholarships section.
How do I apply?
For application details please visit bucks.ac.uk/applying-to-bucks