Further Education Course Funding

The University receives funding from the Education Skills Funding Agency (ESFA) to support students studying for the Diploma in Foundation Studies in Art Design and Media.”

The Skills Funding Agency and the Education Funding Agency have been replaced by one body called Education & Skills Funding Agency – the details are here

You can apply for an award from this fund to help you with the cost of:

  • accommodation and travel
  • course materials and equipment

There are two types of 16-19 Bursary Fund.  These are:-

Vulnerable Student Bursary

You could get a bursary of up to £1,200 if at least one of the following applies:

  • you are in, or have recently left local authority care
  • you get Income Support (or Universal Credit in place of Income Support) in your name
  • you are disabled and get Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) or Universal Credit and Disability Living or Personal Independence Payments in your name

Discretionary Student Bursary

You can apply for an award from this fund if your household income is below £25,000 or if you live with your parents and they are in receipt of Jobseeker's Allowance, Income Support, Universal Credit or an equivalent benefit, or if you are receiving help from the National Association of Special Schools. You are required to provide documentary evidence which could include:

  • letter from the Local Council
  • HMRC Tax Credit Award Notice or similar
  • letter from the Jobcentre Plus confirming benefits
  • letter from the DWP

You can find out further information here.

Students aged 19 or over are only eligible to receive a discretionary bursary if they:

  • are continuing on a study programme they began aged 16 to 18 (‘19+ continuing students’) or
  • have an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP)

If you would like more information please visit https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/funding-education-for-16-to-19-year-olds

Advanced Learner Loans

You can apply for an Advanced Learner Loan to help with the costs of your course.

Loan eligibility doesn't depend on your income and there are no credit checks.

You can check to see if you are eligible to apply by visiting https://www.gov.uk/advanced-learner-loan

If you would like to apply for an award from the fund, please speak to your School Administrator to obtain a 'Learning and funding information' letter - you will need this to complete the application.

If you would like to apply for assistance from any of the above funds, please speak to your School Administrator to obtain an application form and remember to provide all of the supporting evidence requested.

For more information, please visit the GOV.UK website.