Brexit advice for students

Updated: 2 April 2019

Bucks New University embraces students from all around the world and we are proud of the diversity of our international community.

We understand that you may have some concerns around the impact of Brexit. Please check the guidance below, which provides practical advice for current and prospective students coming to the UK.

You may also find the following sources of information useful.

We will regularly update this page as more information becomes available.

Current students

Yes. Most EU citizens will need to apply to continue living and studying in the UK after it leaves the EU. Please see the following question ‘Will there be a change to my immigration status’ to find out what you need to do and when.

The UK government has said that:

EU Citizens, non-EU EEA (Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein) citizens can continue to enter UK after Brexit (in a deal or no-deal scenario) using a valid passport or national identity card.

Eligible family members of EU/EEA/Swiss citizens who are not themselves EU/EEA/Swiss citizens will need to obtain a family permit before entering the UK.

If a final agreement is reached, EU, Non EU EEA and Swiss citizens and their eligible family members already in UK before its departure from the EU (12 April 2019 or 22 May 2019)  and those who come to the UK during transitional/implementation period can apply for immigration permission in the UK under the EU settlement scheme. They will need to do this if they wish to remain in the UK after the end of the transitional period or otherwise apply under another category of the immigration rules. There will be no changes to current visa requirements or entitlements until the end date of the transition period on December 31, 2020.

If an agreement is not reached, the settlement scheme will operate in a much more restricted capacity, and there will be separate provisions for those coming to the UK following the country’s departure from the EU.

NOTE: The scheme will also be available to those who were resident in the UK before the UK leaves the EU and who meet the eligibility criteria, but who are temporarily absent from the UK when the UK leaves the EU for a period and/or reason described under definition of 'continuous qualifying period' in Annex 1- Definitions.

Read more about Settled and Pre-settled Status for EU Citizens and their families.

You may also wish to keep up-to-date here

EU students who are already studying here at Bucks New University will continue to pay the same tuition fees for the duration of their programme even if the course finishes after the UK has left the EU. Read more about the fee status for current students.

Eligibility requirements for current EU students to receive loans and/or grants to fund their studies for the full duration of their course remain unchanged. More information can be found on the Student Loan Company webpage.

Students currently participating in Erasmus+, including those taking part in the 2019-20 academic year, are not expected to be affected by the Brexit outcome.

If a deal is reached, the UK is expected to take part in Erasmus+ until the end of the current phase in 2020. The government has published a Technical Notice in light of the possibility of leaving EU without a deal. This notice provides guidance to individuals participating or wanting to participate in the Erasmus+ programme.

For further information and updates relating to the Erasmus+ programme, read the Brexit update on the Erasmus website.

Prospective students and applicants

There will be no change to the tuition fee status of EU students who begin their studies in the 2019-20 academic year. This means that EU students studying at Bucks will pay the same fees as 'home' students for the full duration of their course, even if the course of interest finishes after the UK leaves the EU.

The UK government has not yet provided clarification about what fees and funding arrangements will be available.

Prospective applicants are advised to check the UK Government website for the latest updates from the UK government.

EU students starting their course in 2019-20 at an English higher education institution will continue to be eligible for financial support from Student Finance England for the entire duration of their course, regardless of whether a deal is reached between the UK and the EU.

The Minister for Universities Chris Skidmore MP has confirmed this statement; read the confirmation statement: Fee status classification for European nationals if the UK leaves EU without a deal.

If a deal is reached, the UK is expected to take part in Erasmus+ until the end of the current cycle in 2020. The government has published an update in light of the possibility of leaving EU without a deal to provide guidance to individuals participating, or wanting to participate, in the Erasmus+ programme.

For further information and updates relating to the Erasmus+ programme, read the Brexit update on the Erasmus website.

The government is still in the process of finalising the agreement with the EU.

If a deal is achieved, there will be no change to the immigration status of EU students who commence their studies before 31 December 2020, which marks the end of the government’s Brexit implementation period. The same applies to citizens from Norway, Iceland, Lichtenstein and Switzerland.

Students can apply for permission to remain in the UK after the transitional period through the Government’s EU Settlement scheme.

Students beginning courses in 2021 and later

The UK Government has not yet finalised arrangement for 2021 onwards. It is likely that those arriving from 1 January 2021 will probably need to apply for immigration permission to come to the UK under a category of the immigration rules that will be in place by that time.

If a deal is not achieved, those who enter the UK during the Brexit transitional period would need to apply online for 'European Temporary Leave to Remain'. They would receive immigration permission for a period of three years provided their application is successful. In order to stay in the UK after this three-year period, they would have to make an application under the immigration rules in place at that time. For more information, visit Brexit News and EU Settlement.

Contact us

For more information, contact our Enquiries Team:

+44(0) 1494 605 060