Brexit Advice

We are proud of our richly diverse student community, and value highly the contribution of all European citizens in making Bucks New University a great place to both study and work.

Bucks is a university where higher education transcends geopolitical borders. The transformative nature of the education we deliver is bolstered by the opportunities to share and embrace different cultures, providing our students and graduates with a breadth of perspectives to ensure they rise to the global challenges they face.

It is this enriching experience which enables our students to acquire the knowledge, skills and understanding to help them make a real difference to society and the world.

A Brexit deal has been agreed in principle with the EU.

Both the UK and the EU need to approve and sign the withdrawal agreement. They will then start to negotiate new arrangements. There would be a transition period to prepare for new rules.

The UK could still leave with no deal if the withdrawal agreement is not approved by 31 January 2020, or at the end of a transition period.

UK citizens, and EU citizens living in the UK, should use the Government’s checker tool to plan for what they may need to do before Brexit.

Further information is also available on the Government’s website about what will happen after Brexit for those:

  • Visiting the EU after Brexit
  • Living and working in the UK
  • EU citizens staying in the UK

Our current EU citizen students and staff who want to continue living in the UK must apply for settled or pre-settled status to be able to:

  • work in the UK
  • use the NHS
  • enrol in education or continue studying
  • access public funds such as benefits and pensions, if you’re eligible for them
  • travel in and out of the UK

The deadline for applying will be 30 June 2021, or 31 December 2020 if the UK leaves the EU without a deal. Further details about the EU Settlement Scheme can be found Government’s website.

Current students

Yes. Most EU citizens will need to apply to continue living and studying in the UK after it leaves the EU.

If you haven’t already done so, you will need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme. The deadline for applying will be 30 June 2021, or 31 December 2020 if the UK leaves the EU without a deal.

You do not need to apply if you have indefinite leave to enter or remain in the UK.

Please keep up-to-date with information on the UK Council for International Student Affairs’ (UKCISA) website to gain a good understanding of how Brexit might impact your immigration status.

More information about settled and pre-settled status for EU citizens and their families can also be found on UKCISA’s website.

EU students who are already studying here at Bucks New University will continue to pay the same tuition fees for the duration of their programme even if the course finishes after the UK has left the EU.

Eligibility requirements for current EU students to receive loans and/or grants to fund their studies for the full duration of their course remain unchanged. More information can be found on the Student Loan Company webpage.

Students currently participating in Erasmus+, including those taking part in the 2019-20 academic year, are not expected to be affected by the Brexit outcome.

If a deal is reached, the UK is expected to take part in Erasmus+ until the end of the current phase in 2020. The government has published a Technical Notice in light of the possibility of leaving EU without a deal. This notice provides guidance to individuals participating or wanting to participate in the Erasmus+ programme.

For further information and updates relating to the Erasmus+ programme, read the Brexit update on the Erasmus website.

EU citizens interested in studying at Bucks or holding an offer

There will be no change to the tuition fee status of EU students who begin their studies in the 2019/20 or 2020/21 academic years.

This means that EU students studying at Bucks will pay the same fees as 'home' students for the full duration of their course, even if the course you’re interested in finishes after the UK has left the EU.

Eligibility requirements for EU students to receive loans and/or grants to fund their studies for the full duration of their course remains unchanged for those applying to commence their studies in 2019/20 or 2020/21.

How Brexit might affect your travel plans

The UK is still a member of the EU, which means that all existing travel arrangements still apply. For example, you still have access to state medical care in any EU country as long as you have an up to date European Health Insurance Card and you can continue to use the EU/EEA passport gates.

The European Parliament has confirmed that UK travellers won’t need a visa to travel to the EU after Brexit for short-term business or leisure trips, even if the UK leaves without a deal. UK citizens will be able to visit the EU for up to 90 days within a 180-day period without a visa.

Further information is available on the Government's website.

The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) allows any EU citizen to access state medical care when they are travelling in another EU country.

In the event of a no-deal Brexit, UK registered EHICs will no longer be valid.

Travellers in the EU and beyond are advised to have appropriate travel insurance, whether they have an EHIC card or not, as there are limitations to EHIC. Check that it covers your current circumstances, including any medical conditions.

The UK Government has published a website tool to help you check a passport for travel to Europe after Brexit.

  • As long as you have a full UK driving licence, you don’t currently need an additional licence to drive in the EU.
  • Full guidance on driving in the EU after Brexit can be found on the Government's website.
  • The Government is also advising that you will need a GB sticker for your car when driving in the EU after Brexit.

If the UK leaves without a deal, UK citizens driving their vehicle within the EU would be required to obtain and carry a physical Green Card in order for your UK car insurance to be applicable in the EU. These cards would be issued by insurers and you may be charged a small fee to cover administration costs. Speak with your insurer for more information.

Under EU rules, the cost of making calls, sending messages or using the internet on your phone in the EU is the same in the UK.

After Brexit, these rules will no longer apply. However, some UK companies have said they may continue to offer this benefit to their customers. Please check with your mobile phone provider.