Welcome to the Department of Computing
Computers and technology infiltrate all parts of our lives. Whether it is for work, leisure or simply communicating with others, we cannot ignore the crucial importance of digital technology for pursuing our many personal and professional endeavours.
The core aim of the Department of Computing is to provide relevant courses for individuals who want to make a difference in a high-tech world. Graduating computing students will be adaptable and flexible problem-solvers who can utilise their understanding of computer systems, technology and software to address end-user needs and business requirements.
A dedicated team of knowledgeable academics and specialist professionals use their collective experience from academia, industry and commerce to deliver a range of relevant courses.
Past students have used courses and associated learning pathways as a springboard to realise their career aspirations in many and varied application areas of computing and IT – for example, Web designer, network administrator, IT support, data analyst, software developer, games production, App developer, teaching.
- Small class sizes mean that students develop close working relationships with their classmates and tutors in a friendly, supportive and effective learning environment.
- Course assignments reflect real-life problems so that students get experience that prepares them for work after leaving university.
- Through careful choice of either a defined award or module options on a course, students can select a curriculum that matches their future career plans.
- Our course portfolio changes to meet the current and future trends within employment sectors that rely on computing and IT.
- Equipment and facilities experience regular upgrades with computer hardware and software.
Our courses have been developed in consultation with industry, professional bodies and alumni students, to ensure that Bucks graduates have the necessary profile of technical skills, transferable skills, personal characteristics and business awareness that employers are looking for.
Furthermore, we use applied research and technology to inform the delivery of our courses and support the learning and assessment of students.We can thereby effectively design and provide engaging courses that reflect contemporary issues and practices in the constantly changing and developing areas of computing.
Tutors, supported by an active Careers Service, use their project work and external networks to connect students with employers for work experience and other opportunities. Recent examples have included, an industry panel that assessed mobile Apps developed by students, students taking part in research projects as part of their module assessment, and a student team travelling to a gamers competition.
Amazon Web Services Academy Member
We are proud to have partnership with Amazon for running Amazon AWS Academy at Bucks, helping you gain industry standard knowledge and skills and further enhancing your career prospects. This forms part of our undergraduate module Cloud Computing, and allows you to have full access to all Amazon web services resources, materials, labs, online assessments and exams preparations. You will be able to practice the technology provided by the world cloud leader and undertake a free Amazon AWS official certification MOC exam, and gain a 50% discount on Amazon AWS (Cloud Architecture) official certification exam (optional for students). For further information, please contact Dr Rafid Al-Khannak.
- BSc (Hons) Computing
- BSc(Hons) Computing with Foundation Year
- BSc (Hons) Computing and Web Development
- BSc (Hons) Games Development
- BSc(Hons) Games Development with Foundation Year
- BA (Hons) Independent Games Production
- BA(Hons) Independent Games Production with Foundation Year
- BSc (Hons) Software Engineering
- BSc(Hons) Software Engineering with Foundation Year