Welcome to the Department of Art and Design
We have been delivering expert craft, art and design education for over 110 years, and our commitment to delivering a contemporary curriculum that evolves with the demands of industry, ensures the currency of our courses.
Our students enjoy a friendly, supportive and stimulating learning environment, and benefit from an approach to teaching that prioritises the importance of ‘hands-on’ experience. We are committed to developing students’ creativity, confidence and competencies.
Bucks will provide you with the knowledge required to take your creative ideas from concept to reality, through your understanding and development of design approaches and processes within our excellent facilities. The knowledge and experience you gain will create fulfilling career opportunities with the arts and creative industries.
Through a vast network of industry connections, the Department of Art and Design at Bucks New University has a long tradition of producing successful graduates who excel within the creative industries.
Applied learning is fundamental to our approach, blending academic study with real-world experiences. Exploring different modes of art and design practice, our students have developed a sophisticated approach to design-led projects, undertaken research, and achieved proficiency and knowledge of a range of concepts, techniques, and processes.
Adopting both traditional and digital approaches to design, our graduates use their ideas, skills and knowledge to create innovative design solutions, applying their expertise to live industry projects.
- Our Advertising students can take advantage of our links with big name agencies like BBH, AMV BBDO, RAPP UK & NY, M&C Saatchi, Mother, Grey, Dare, Ogilvy, Saatchi & Saatchi, Razorfish and more.
- Recent live projects for our Illustration students have included Faber Publishing, Mind Design, and Creative Review. We have even had a visit from Olivier Rabenschlag, Creative Director of Google, who was himself a Bucks graduate.
- Bucks' Graphics students have taken part in live briefs from companies such as Puma and Williams Murray Hamm and undertaken work experience with companies such as Wallpaper, Dragon Rouge and Rankin.
Every year is different and we maintain close relationships with industry to stay ahead of evolving needs and challenges.
Art and Design education is supported by excellent specialist facilities at Bucks.
Our workshops feature industry-standard equipment, with an excellent range of traditional and state-of-the-art resources. This unique environment enables students to explore new and traditional skills and technologies in the areas of printmaking, screen printing, sewing and garment production; and wood, metal, fine metals, ceramics, model making and mould-making.
Technologies range from traditional to digital with dedicated computer suites, photography studio, darkroom, laser cutters, and rapid prototyping, as well as CAD/CAM and 3D printing facilities that are housed in our FabLab (fabrication laboratory).
Students in Art and Design enjoy their own dedicated studio spaces and timetabled workshop access, allowing them the freedom and flexibility to explore and develop their practice. Workshop areas are supported by a strong team of highly-skilled and dedicated technicians who contribute positively to the student’s learning experience.
- We hold an annual creative student showcase, open to the public during the summer at our High Wycombe Campus. Our students also showcase their work at several industry events around London.
- Students from our Art and Design courses have an exceptional range of opportunities working with industry partners, including The National Trust, John Lewis, Hettich, and local charities.
- High Wycombe is the chair making and furniture capital of the UK, with records dating back to 1732. The furniture-making tradition lives on in aspects of Product Design as well as Kitchen Design.
- Many students gain employment in their chosen field before they have even graduated.
- Many of our alumni find successful careers in the creative industries. For example, graduates in Interior and Spatial Design are currently working for a number of renowned organisations, including V&A London, GMW Architects, The Society of British Theatre Designers, Country Living Magazine, and Sledge Marketing London.
- BA (Hons) Creative Advertising
- BA (Hons) Fashion Design
- BA (Hons) Graphic Arts
- BA (Hons) Graphic Design
- BA (Hons) Illustration
- BA (Hons) Interior and Spatial Design
- BA (Hons) Product Design
- BSc (Hons) Product Design
- BA (Hons) Textiles and Surface Design
- Diploma in Foundation Studies in Art, Design and Media
- Foundation Degree (Arts) Kitchen Design - Distance learning