Our waste management working group works to reduce the University’s current total annual waste as well as increasing the proportion of this waste that is recycled.
Bucks currently recycle, or provides specific disposal for:
- Paper and cardboard
- Plastic bottles
- Construction materials
- Waste electrical and electronic equipment (WEEE)
- Waste cooking oil
This upcycling scheme enables the Multi-Faith Chaplaincy and the Students’ Union to collect unwanted items from halls of residence in order to recycle them to other students. We are pleased to report that Bucks New Usage was a runner up in the High Wycombe Decides competition and the project was granted £2,000.
The scheme also won a Gold Green Apple Award in 2016.
Bucks Students’ Union obtained Silver in the Green Impact Students' Union audit by demonstrating a commitment to sustainability through:
- Recycling the majority of waste bar glass from our venues
- Ensuring all customer-facing bins are well labelled
- Ensuring the Students' Union has a collection scheme for postage stamps, batteries and spectacles
- Creating plans to deliver and/or support a recycle and reuse scheme in halls and accommodation
- Ensuring plastic bags are banned from Freshers' Fairs
- Inviting staff to give feedback on saving energy
- Planning events in line with the NUS Sustainable Events checklist
Read the Students' Union's Waste and Recycling policy (pdf)