Care Leavers

If you’re a care leaver and studying at Bucks, you’ll find plenty of support here to help you get the most out of your time in higher education. We understand the challenges you face, and we’ll support you from before your application right through to graduation to help you make the most of your potential.

There’s lots of support you can call on:

  • Help with your university application
  • Help with accommodation
  • Financial support
  • Mentors
  • Access to services within the University
  • Special activities and events designed for care leavers

If you’d like to find out more, please download our care leavers leaflet

Our student services team can help you through your application. We can give you advice on everything from filling in an application form through to interviews and preparing portfolios, including how to write your personal statement. We can also talk to the accommodation team for you, to help you find a place.

We can provide you with accommodation for the full 365 days of the year. We’ll do everything we can to give you your first choice, depending on what’s available. If you’d like to know more, please call the accommodation service on 01494 603 063, or email

Please note, our accommodation support depends on you putting Bucks New University as your firm choice on your UCAS form. You’ll also need to meet all the university course entry requirements, and have got an unconditional offer.

You can apply for accommodation from the spring onwards. You’ll automatically get an email, sent to the email address you registered with UCAS. When you apply, please let us know that you’re a care leaver in the notes section in the application form.

We offer one-to-one mentoring support if you’re a care leaver. You can ask for a mentor and we’ll assign a member of staff to be a mentor for all the time you’re here. They’ll give you support, advice and advocacy and be your first point of contact for any questions you have.

To find out more about mentoring, please get in touch with Sukhie Mattu by emailing or calling 01494 605032.

We offer lots of services and support to all our students at the University, including a counselling service, disability service, Students' Union Advice Centre, careers and employability service, multi-faith service, accommodation service and learning development unit.

If you’re a teacher or social worker, and you’d like to talk to us about how we can support your work with looked-after children and young people, please email or call 01494 601622 ext 5034.