HESA Data Collection
Information concerning the HESA data collection notices can be found at www.hesa.ac.uk/fpn
This includes data collection notices for staff and students, these notices are also available in Welsh.
Bucks New University Data Protection Statement
Bucks New University processes data about you for a variety of purposes, including all aspects of the administration of your education and your welfare, associated financial matters, use of University facilities and for the purpose of equal opportunities monitoring. Bucks New University will use your contact details to keep you informed of events relevant to your studies and in emergencies.
It is not possible to list all of the uses to which the University will use your personal data, or to list all of the bodies with whom we might have to share your personal data. However, the following are examples of when the University will release data about you to third parties where we have a legitimate reason in connection with your time here at University to use that data, or where the University is under a legal requirement to do so:
- We are required to pass some data to government education departments, the Quality Assurance Agency (QAA), and to representatives of these bodies such as auditors.
- We will provide data on request to the police and other enforcement agencies in emergencies and where crime detection or prevention can be aided by its release, for example, responding to information requests from UK Visa and Immigration (UKVI).
- We may be required to provide data to the Higher Education Funding Council (HEFCE) or to other bodies acting on HEFCE’s behalf. One such example would be where the University is required to provide student contact details for the National Student Survey.
- Students are required to provide details of their highest qualifications on entry to the University and this information is recorded on the University’s student database. The University and others (e.g. HEFCE) may check this information with the Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA) or other institutions to confirm the qualifications obtained.
- Data may be released to third parties in relation to financial matters associated with your education. We are required to pass data about you to HESA and some of this data will be passed to other statutory bodies involved with the funding of education. Further information on how your Student Record may be used by HESA can be found at www.hesa.ac.uk/collection-notices. We will also provide data to the Student Loans Company and to your devolved Student Finance administration area. If necessary the University will also release data to parties involved in the recovery of debts to the University.
- Data may also be released to third party organisations that host University data e.g. the University’s ID card supplier, for use in the production of your student ID card.
- We will share your contact details, student number, course and study details with Bucks Student Union in order to help them to communicate effectively with you.
- The University uses the TurnitinUK© anti-plagiarism software that could involve some personal data being released to other HE institutions for comparison purposes.
- Where students are enrolled on courses which are accredited by professional bodies, some identifying data may be passed to the appropriate professional body in order for students to be registered with that professional body.
- Where students are sponsored by, for example, their employer or embassy or the NHS, the University will provide details of attendance and attainment to the sponsor on request.
- The University will also use your contact details to keep you informed of initiatives relating to your time at the University e.g. careers services or postgraduate studies, as well as to provide details of the Alumni Association.
The University will not release data to any unauthorised third person except where you ask us to. This means that we will not release data to banks, friends, relatives (including parents), etc., without your agreement. If you wish us to provide data in these circumstances you should provide us with written consent to release the data.
It is your responsibility to inform us as soon as possible if any data we hold about you requires updating. We will provide an annual opportunity for you to check your data through the enrolment process. We may also collect, at registration, the contact details of a person nominated by you for emergency contact purposes. You must notify them that we are holding this data which will only be used in an emergency.
We will retain your full student record for six years after the end of your studies so that we can fulfil our function of recording details of the awards we make, and provide details of your education and references when asked to do so. (After these six years we will retain transcript data in order to confirm details of your award.)
You are entitled to request a copy of the data we hold about you. You are also entitled to raise an objection where the processing of data we hold about you is likely to cause you damage or distress. To do this please contact DPOfficer@bucks.ac.uk.