Skip to content

Home/Parents and carers/Support for your son or daughter

Support for your son or daughter

students in class

As independent as your son or daughter may feel now they have left home and started university, there is no doubt they will still need your support, help, encouragement and advice.

Whether it is something you can help with yourself, or whether you encourage them to speak to one of the support services provided by the University, there is always something that can be done, whatever the issue.


How you can help

There are many ways you can help and support your son or daughter throughout the academic year.

The academic year runs from September to June with a few exceptions. There will be so much going on; with living arrangements, coursework, extra course work and social activities, that you'd be surprised your loved one has time to call- but they will. And your advice and support will be invaluable all year long.

Nobody knows your son or daughter better than you, so who better to be there for them when they have concerns or something to celebrate.

How we can help

We know that at certain points throughout their studies, your son or daughter may like some additional support or guidance.

Our support service teams can help them with queries they have about their study at Bucks, talk them through financial matters and any issues they may have with student loans.

We offer a confidential counselling service and disability service to support and advise your son or daughter throughout their time with us.

The support doesn’t stop when they finish studying either. Our careers and employment service are on hand for two years after graduation to prepare your son or daughter to find the right job.

They can contact the specific department they require directly or through the Student Centre who will be able to put your son or daughter in touch with the right people.

The first year

Many of our students look for a part-time job in the first year to make some extra money or to help with career and social growth.

Our campuses are situated in bustling towns with a large number of shops, cafes, pubs and restaurants where they may be able to find part-time work.

The University's own Careers & Employability support service offers on site support in a variety of ways, find out more here.

Bucks Students' Union employs students too, from bar staff to DJ's- find out more.

The student experience is very important, university is a wonderful time for making friends, learning new things, gaining new skills and developing existing ones. We encourage our students to take part in extra curricular activities and there is a lot on offer at Bucks.

The first year is the best time for students to get stuck in -take a look at our student experience section and makesure you read all about the Big Deal and the Big Deal On Course. These are our impressive student packages, only available at Bucks, offering free activities, workshops and even graduation gown hire.


Exams can be a stressful time for students. The important thing is not to let that stress get out of control. Your son or daughter may need extra reassurance and support around exam time, so be prepared.

We have a section of the website dedicated to exams. This section includes everything from exam timetables to what is construed as an examination offence.

It also has documents that will give invaluable advice to your son or daughter as they are preparing for exams. It contains:

  • examination handbook,
  • examination checklists,
  • top tips for studying,
  • a guide to time management, and
  • combating exam stress.

Take a look at the exams section.

The Disability Service

The Disability Service is here to ensure that our students get the most from their experience in an inclusive learning environment.

The team are happy to discuss individual needs at any stage of the application process, or even once studies have commenced.

They are able to offer a wide range of reasonable adjustments for those with dyslexia, medical conditions, mental health difficulties and other disabilities. The team also assists with applications for Disabled Students' Allowances (DSA) and can provide dyslexia screening.

The team also provides reasonable adjustments for those with temporary disabilities that affect the ability to study, such as injuries like broken arms and legs.

Please feel free to take a look at the Disability Service page where you will find more information along with contact details and opening hours.

Signs a student is struggling

University students are often struck by how quickly they can fall behind in their new academic environment.

Balancing studies with a social life, coupled with the newly found freedom of living away from home, is often an overwhelming challenge. Add a part-time job to that mix, and the burden can become simply too much, affecting all aspects of a student's life and their physical and mental well-being.

Some of the symptoms listed below can be harder to look for as your son or daughter is living away from home, but by asking questions and listening carefully, you should be able to pick up any tell-tale signs.

Academic indicators:

  • deterioration in quality of work,
  • missed assignments or appointments,
  • repeated absence from class or lectures,
  • behaving withdrawn.

Physical or psychological indicators:

  • Reluctance to discuss their life at university or projects they are working on.
  • They may have little to say in general.
  • Unusual change (not for the better) in physical appearance or personal hygiene.
  • Excessive fatigue or sleep difficulties.
  • Unprovoked anger or hostility, particularly when pressurised to talk about their life at university.
  • Irritability, anxiety or tearfulness, along with marked changes in concentration and motivation, are further symptoms.

The symptoms listed above are quite common and can be managed, so long as assistance is sought. Generally, your instinct is a good guide, so if you feel there is something wrong, don't ignore it. The first thing to do is try to talk to your son or daughter yourself. Discuss their worries and issues, if they are willing to talk.

If they are reluctant to discuss it with you, or if you have a serious concern about your son/daughter's wellbeing, please contact The Student Centre for help. Please note that University staff will not usually be able to inform you of the outcome of their investigation, but they may be able to encourage your son or daughter to contact you.