Amazing things happen when bright people with a passion for new ideas come together. As a student at Bucks New University you’ll have access to training, advice, space, and start-up funding to get your ideas going.
Be inspired by real entrepreneurs and meet like-minded students with a passion for making things happen through our entrepreneurial societies or our pioneering enterprise boot-camps and business start-up programmes.
Whether you need help in protecting and managing your Intellectual Property, need office space or funds to help nurture and grow your business idea or are interested in developing you're skills for business then we can help you.
Your bright ideas could win you prizes in our annual Enterprise Challenges - they're also a great way to get expert feedback and early market exposure for your business.
Useful Links for Entrepreneurship and Business Start-up
Entrepreneurship and Business Start-up includes a whole spectrum of activities - from freelancing and self-employment to founding a small business and becoming an employer yourself. The following links supplement the support we provide:
- BusinessLink is the national advice website for running a business with some excellent resources for start-ups.
- Starting a Business is a website provided by HM Revenue and Customs giving guidance on starting a business and registering as self-employed.
- The National Council for Entrepreneurship in Education provides advice and guidance to student entrepreneurs through its Flying Start and Make it Happen programmes.
- StartUP Britain is a national initiative promoting business start-ups.
- Shell Livewire is a national scheme supporting youth entrepreneurship with advice, prizes and events.
- Start-ups provide information on all aspects of starting and running a business.
- Lloyds TSB business guides are a series of guides to specific aspects of running your own business.
Local sources of information and advice
- Bucks New University
Runs a number of services for business such as consultancy, knowledge transfer partnerships and recruitment services
(the Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service) - gives guidance on HR issues such as equality, workplace disputes and redundancy procedures
- 4C Partnership
4C is a brokerage service which matches socially responsible businesses with voluntary sector requirement
- Bucks Business First
Buckinghamshire Business First’s aim is to help businesses thrive and grow, by creating a dynamic business environment in the Entrepreneurial Heart of Britain. Membership is FREE and the only requirement is that your business is based in Buckinghamshire. Member benefits include networking and events, free meeting space, business advice, research, lobbying and more.
- Federation of Small Business
Campaigning and pressure group promoting and protecting the interests of the self-employed and owners of small firms
- Health and Safety Executive
Information on complying with health and safety directives
- High Wycombe BID Company
a not-for-profit company established to oversee the running of the Business Improvement District (BID) in High Wycombe town centre
- JobCentre Plus
Allows businesses of all types and size to advertise vacancies and provides services such as sifting job applications and pre-employment training
- Thames Valley Chamber of Commerce
The Thames Valley Chamber of Commerce is a membership organisation which promotes and lobbies for business development in the Thames Valley
- The Institute of Directors
The Institute of Directors is Europe's largest membership organisation for business leaders
- UK Trade & Investment
Works with UK-based businesses to ensure their success in international markets and encourages the best overseas companies to look to the UK as their global partner of choice
Information and Support for Social Enterprise
- UnLtd is a national charity funding socially enterprising individuals.
- ClearlySo is an online marketplace for social business, social enterprise and social investment.
Talk to us
Do you have a business idea or would you like to find out more information about Enterprise events, training, funding and business advice? Please contact Lydiah Igweh, Student Enterprise Development and Events Consultant.
Tel: 01494 522 141 ext 3274