Skip to content

Home/International students/Why Bucks?/Employment and careers

Employment and careers

The University has developed considerable experience in creating partnerships with industry, commerce and the public sector through the delivery of work-based and professional practice programmes.

We have also benefitted from strong links with industry groups and professional bodies. So when you successfully complete your course you should be amongst the most employable graduates out there.

For international students the Careers & Employment team can offer advice on understanding the UK job market, career planning, marketing yourself effectively and identifying opportunities.

Working in the UK
Students on courses with a duration of 6 months or more will usually be given a visa which allow part-time work during the term (up to 20 hours a week) and full-time during the vacations. For further information please see the UK Council for International Student Affairs.

What happens after graduation
It may be possible for you to stay on in the UK for practical training or work experience or for full-time employment. 

Any non UK/EU graduate will require a work permit to work in the UK after graduation.  For detailed information please visit the UK section of the Work Permit website.

Preparing to work: National Insurance
If you are working in the UK you will need a National Insurance (NI) number. This number identifies you and helps ensure that you are paying the correct rates of income tax. You’ll keep this number throughout your life.

To apply for a NI number, you’ll need to make an appointment to be interviewed at your local Department of Social Security Office, Job Centre or JobcentrePlus Office. Once an appointment has been made, you must take along the following documents:

  • your passport
  • proof of your UK address (i.e. a letter from the Student Centre)
  • a letter/contract from your employer, stating when you received your job offer or start date, the hourly rate which you will be paid and the duration of your employment

You’ll be able to start work before you receive your NI Number. However, as applications can take between three and twelve weeks, it’s important to ask for a letter at your appointment that confirms your temporary number and states that you’ve submitted a formal application.  When your number has been issued you will receive a plastic card with your number.

If you would like to know more about NI, please see

Preparing to work: Income Tax
Everybody in the UK has to pay Income Tax if they earn over the stated government threshold. If you work for an employer, they will tax you at source.

This means that they take the tax that you need to pay and give it to HM Revenue & Customs. The scheme is called Pay As You Earn (PAYE). If it’s your first job in the UK, you can ask your employer for a P46 form or you can download the form from the Inland Revenue website. 

This is very important as it ensures you are paying the right amount of tax if applicable.  If you think that your income will be less than £4,745 for a full year, you can ask your employer for form P38 which can also be downloaded from the Inland Revenue website. Your employer will then pay you without deducting tax.