Skip to content

Home/International students/Living Here/Living in the UK

Living in the UK

Cost of living

International students must show a certain level of finance for living expenses as part of their visa. The information below should assist you with what to expect allowing you to budget for your stay in the UK.

Some things you need to consider in addition to tuition fees:

  • Accommodation
  • Food
  • Toiletries
  • Laundry
  • Clothing
  • Insurance
  • Books
  • Travel

Other course costs (see course fees page for more information)

The following links will provide you with more information on living costs for international students and a student calculator to assist with budgeting.

International student calculator

Guarantor service for international students

Manage your money with Loot

Banking and finance
There are many banks within walking distance of both campuses who are able to open accounts for international students. You will need a letter from the University confirming you are a student and stating your address. You will also need photographic identification. Please be aware that some banks charge a monthly fee, though many do not.

When arriving in the UK you may wish to bring a small amount of British money with you for food and travel. If you have a bank card you may be able to withdraw money from cash machines in the UK.

Personal Safety
It's important you're responsible for your personal safety whilst in the UK. Here are some tips to help you have a trouble free stay:

  • Ensure you lock all windows and doors at your property when not home.
  • Try to avoid walking alone at night.
  • Only travel in licensed taxi’s.
  • Let friends and family know where you are and when to expect you to return home.

British Law
You must act in a manner that does not break British Law at all times.

All Tier 4 applicants who are applying for visas for more than six months, will be required to pay an 'immigration health surcharge.' Paying this charge as part of their application will mean that they are entitled to receive free health services from the National Health Services (NHS) while they are in the UK.

When you arrive in the UK it is recommended you register with a Doctor’s surgery as soon as possible. You will need a letter from the University and photographic identification. If you are not registered with a Doctor’s surgery you will not be able to make a Doctor's appointment if you become unwell.
If you become unwell outside of surgery opening times you can visit an out of hours surgery, information can be found by visiting

If you require healthcare advice you can visit or call them on 111.

It's recommended you purchase contents insurance whilst in the UK, this will cover your belongings for loss, damage or theft.

Medical emergency, fire or crime
If you require immediate assistance with a health related problem, you need to report a fire or a crime please dial 999 for an ambulance, the fire brigade or the police.

If you wish to report a crime or speak to a police officer but the incident is not an emergency please dial 101.

Please be aware that it is a criminal offence to dial 999 for any reason other than an emergency.

How to contact home
When you arrive in the UK you may not have a phone that is able to connect to overseas lines. If you need to contact home before you purchase a suitable sim card please visit the International Office.

There are many phone providers in the UK and phone shops in both High Wycombe and Uxbridge where you can purchase a mobile phone and related items.

Police powers to stop and search
Please click here for your rights in relation to stop and search.