Skip to content

Home/International students/Applying to Bucks/Police registration

Police registration

If your UK visa document tells you to register with the police you should read the information below carefully.

If you are a holder of stateless documents or a national of a country listed by the Home Office on their website, you are required to register with the police when you are granted a visa for more than six months:

Why do I need to register with the police?

The requirement to register with the police will be indicated in the following documents:

  • Your entry clearance visa vignette in your passport
  • Your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) card
  • The Home Office letter which states that your visa application was approved

Police registration is a condition linked to your Tier 4 visa. The UKVI treats this requirement very seriously.  Non-compliance may result in your removal from the UK, getting barred from returning to the UK for a certain period and refusal on any subsequent immigration applications.

When do I need to register with the police?
You must register within seven days of arriving in the UK or seven days of getting your BRP card. 

Where should I register?
If you live in London register at the following:

The Overseas Visitors’ Records Office (OVRO)
323 Borough High Street
SE1 1JL 

Monday to Friday 9am - 5pm

Students living in High Wycombe can register at the following police station:

Thames Valley Police
Queen Victoria Road
High Wycombe
HP11 1BE
0845 850 5505

Elsewhere please contact the police station near where you live to see if you can register with them.

What do I need to take with me when I am registering?
You will need to take:

  • Your valid passport
  • Current visa/Biometric Residence Permit card/Home Office letter which states that your visa was approved
  • Two recent passport photographs
  • Registration fee of £34
  • Proof of student status letter - if you have already enroled on your course
  • CAS or offer letter - if you are still waiting to enrol on your course

your passport including the current visa page or Biometric Residence Permit card. The police registration fee is £34 and can be paid by cash, credit card, debit card or cheque with a cheque guarantee card). You will also need to provide a proof of student status letter (available from the International Office).

What happens after registration?

  • The police will give you a Police Registration Certificate
  • You will need to take the Police Registration Certificate to the compliance team for a copy to be kept in your file
  • You will require this certificate for re-entering the UK and extending or renewing your visa
  • You will have 48 hours to produce the certificate if you are requested to do so
  • You must inform the  police station within 7 days of any  changes including: change of address so they can insert the new address on your certificate, when you get a visa extension, if you change college or university, renew your passport, change your marital status or if any of the other details on your Police Registration Certificate change - You will need to take the Police Registration Certificate to the compliance team for a copy to be kept in your file

For further information please visit the UKVI page on police registration.