Skip to content

Home/International students/Applying to Bucks/ATAS Certificate

ATAS Certificate

A picture of students doing group work.

If you are a non-EU/EEA student, you may require an Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) clearance certificate to allow you to study on your course. If you are a Tier 4 Student and you successfully obtain an ATAS certificate, you must submit it with your Tier 4 visa application. If your course requires an ATAS certificate and you do not have one, your visa will be refused.

If you will be studying with a non-Tier 4 visa, you must still obtain an ATAS certificate before you can start your studies.

You will require an ATAS clearance if you intend to study one of the Bucks courses listed below:

  • MPhil Enterprise and Innovation Computing And Advanced Technologies
  • MPhil Engineering
  • MA/PG Dip Furniture Design & Craftsmanship
  • MA/PG Dip Furniture Restoration
  • MA Furniture Conservation & Restoration
  • MA Contemporary Furniture Design
  • MA Art & Design Conservation of Furniture & Decorative Arts
  • MEng Mechanical Engineering Design
  • MPhil Furniture
  • MPhil Computing
  • Master of Science Engineering Management & Design
  • PhD Engineering
  • PhD Furniture
  • PhD Enterprise and Innovation Computing And Advanced Technologies
  • Master of Arts Furniture Conservation Restoration & Decorative Arts
  • PhD Technology
  • PhD Computing
  • MA Furniture Design and Technology
  • BEng (Hons) Mechanical Engineering Design

An ATAS certificate will also be required if you are applying for an extension of your visa in the UK to study one of these courses.

If an ATAS clearance applies to you, the information you require (JACS code) will be included in your offer letter.

If you are unsure if your course requires an ATAS certificate please contact for more information.

How to apply for an ATAS Certificate
Visit the ATAS website for more information