Skip to content

Home/Fees & Funding/Loans and grants

Loans and grants

Most students pay for their studies though loans and grants. Depending on your method of study, education and loan history as well as other varying criteria you may be eligible for some level of support.
This section covers the most common financial student support through loans via student finance and professional bank loans.
If you are looking for student support but are not sure what is available to suit your circumstances, your first stop should be

Enhanced Learning Credits Scheme (ELC)

The MOD's Enhanced Learning Credits Scheme (ELC) is an initiative to promote lifelong learning amongst members of the Armed Forces. The scheme provides financial support for members of the Armed Forces in the form of a single up-front payment in each of a maximum of three separate financial years.

Funding is only available for the pursuit of nationally recognised qualifications at levels four to six of the Framework for Higher Education and Qualifications in England, Wales and Northern Ireland (FHEQ) e.g. a first undergraduate degree (including foundation degree) or Higher National Certificate or Diploma for which the entry qualification is lower than a degree and which normally takes place at a publicly funded institution.

If you would like further details of the ELC scheme, please call the Administration Service Helpline (ELCAS) on 01452 558 390. If you would like to find out if your programme would qualify for this support email our enquiries team.

Professional career development loans

If you are unable to obtain any financial support from Student Finance, then you may be eligible to qualify for a professional career development loan.

This is a bank loan that you can use to help pay for work-related learning. You can borrow from £300 to £10,000 from a participating bank to help support your course. More information is available via the Directgov website or you can call 0800 585 505. If you have arranged this funding, please complete and return the instalment agreement form (pdf) to the Student Centre.


If a sponsor is contributing to or paying your fees you should either complete and return a sponsorship authorisation form (pdf) or have them send us a letter or purchase order to bring to your enrolment session. We cannot apply to your sponsor unless we have written confirmation of how much your sponsor agrees to pay. Please ask your sponsor to complete the form so we can bill them accordingly, if we do not receive this, you will be asked to pay the tuition fees yourself.

You should be aware that even if the fees are being funded through a sponsor, it is your responsibility to ensure they are paid. If your sponsor fails to pay the fees at the scheduled time, students become liable and the University will ask for immediate payment of any shortfall.

Student Finance and Student Loans Company liaison

The Student Centre liaises with both Student Finance and the Student Loans Company (SLC).

SLC loans and grants are paid directly to your nominated account and if you have any queries regarding this please contact them directly. To enable your first loan payment to be released you should present your payment schedule letter from the SLC/Student Finance, together with your valid Bucks New University student ID card, when you enrol, this will be either via post or by invitation to an enrolment session.

Your first payment will be released to your account normally within 3-5 working days after enrolment. Subsequent loan payments will be released as per the payment dates detailed in your payment schedule letter.

Should your circumstances change relating to your course Student Finance must be informed once approval has been given by your faculty.

To contact Student Finance please ring 0300 100 0607 alternatively a telephone is available at the Student Centre for you to contact Student Finance.

If you are from outside mainland UK and receive a grant cheque this can be collected from the Student Centre. In order to collect payments you must show your current, valid Bucks New University student ID card.