Our waste management working group works to reduce the University’s current total annual waste as well as increasing the proportion of this waste that is recycled.
Bucks currently recycle, or provides specific disposal for:
- Paper and cardboard
- Plastic bottles
- Construction materials
- Waste electrical and electronic equipment (WEEE)
- Waste cooking oil
Of the 533 tonnes of waste produced during 2013-14, more than half of it was recycled.
Bucks New Usage
This upcycling scheme enables the Multi-Faith Chaplaincy and the Students’ Union to collect unwanted items from halls of residence in order to recycle them to other students. We are pleased to report that Bucks New Usage was a runner up in the High Wycombe Decides competition and the project was granted £2,000.
Green Impact Students' Union
Bucks Students’ Union obtained Silver in the 2014-2015 Green Impact Students' Union audit by demonstrating a commitment to sustainability through:
- Recycling the majority of waste bar glass from our venues
- Ensuring all customer-facing bins are well labelled
- Ensuring the Students' Union has a collection scheme for postage stamps, batteries and spectacles
- Creating plans to deliver and/or support a recycle and reuse scheme in halls and accommodation
- Ensuring plastic bags are banned from Freshers' Fairs
- Inviting staff to give feedback on saving energy
- Planning events in line with the NUS Sustainable Events checklist
Read the Students' Union's Waste and Recycling policy (pdf)