School of Pre-Qualifying Nursing & Vocational Health Care
Make a difference with a career in nursing
The School of Pre-Qualifying Nursing & Vocational Health Care has many years of experience providing nursing programmes. We work closely with a range of NHS Trusts to provide rich and varied learning opportunities.
Embracing therapeutic and technical nursing, the programmes we offer are designed to challenge and support nurses in the acquisition of both fundamental and higher level skills, as well as helping them to achieve personal academic growth and professional development.
We encourage our students to adopt the personal values as identified by the NHS. The NHS Constitution identifies seven key principles and values of the NHS in England. NHS Scotland sets out the 20:20 workforce vision in 'Everyone Matters' (pdf) and Transforming Your Care (pdf) details the review of Health and Social Care in Northern Ireland.
Our students are taught in state-of-the-art nursing facilities at our Uxbridge Campus.
96 per cent of our Nursing students are in employment or further study six months after graduating*.
Our DipHE Operating Department Practice course has a 94% overall student satisfaction rate and 100 % of our Operating Department Practice graduates are in employment or in further study six months after graduating.
We offer the following undergraduate programmes:
- BSc (Hons) Nursing (Adult)
- BSc (Hons) Nursing (Children's)
- BSc (Hons) Nursing (Mental Health)
- DipHE Operating Department Practice
We also offer a Postgraduate Diploma which is designed for graduates who have already completed an honours degree in any subject and now wish to study on a course that leads to registration as a nurse:
- We were nominated eight times across four categories in the Student Nursing Times Awards 2018, winning the Teaching Innovation of the Year Award for our training with dementia simulation. Dr Sharon Edwards, who was awarded the 2017 National Teaching Fellow (NTF) of the Higher Education Academy, was shortlisted for Educator of the Year and one of our BSc (Hons) Nursing (Children's) students was shortlisted for Outstanding Contribution to Student Affairs.
- We are one of the few UK Universities to combine state-of-the-art simulation experiences with the expertise of a moulage specialist who is skilled in applying mock, and often gorily realistic, injuries for training purposes. Our innovative simulation to enhance our nursing and health students' learning was recognised at the Guardian University Award 2016, where we won the Teaching Excellence category.
- At the 2016 Student Nursing Times Awards we won Partnership of the Year for our initiative which supports the recruitment and training of our student nurses and social workers. We work with Independent Voices to encourage local service users and their carers to share their experiences and shape the education of healthcare professionals. The Independent Voices volunteers are involved in many different ways, including being part of interview panels for prospective students, helping develop the curriculum and giving talks to build your understanding of conditions from both patients' and carers' perspectives. The volunteers also take part in simulations which give you the opportunity to practice your skills in a life-like setting.
*National Student Survey 2017
- For advice and guidance on making an application, visit our Application guide
- Come along to a Nursing Open Day at our Uxbridge Campus to find out more about the course, view our facilities and meet lecturers and students
- Call 0330 123 2023 or email us to discuss your options.
- Diploma of Higher Education Operating Department Practice
- Foundation Degree (Science) Assistant Practitioner (Acute Rehabilitation) - Part-time
- Foundation Degree (Science) Assistant Practitioner (Child Care) - Part-time
- Foundation Degree (Science) Assistant Practitioner (Immediate Critical and Peri-Operative Care) - Part-time
- Foundation Degree (Science) Assistant Practitioner (Longer Term Care and Care of Older People) - Part-time
- Foundation Degree (Science) Assistant Practitioner (Maternity and Newborn) - Part-time
- Foundation Degree (Science) Assistant Practitioner (Mental Health) - Part-time
- Postgraduate Diploma Nursing (Adult) with NMC Registration
- Postgraduate Diploma Nursing (Mental Health) with NMC RegistrationThe Care Certificate - Part-time
- BSc (Hons) Nursing (Adult) with NMC Registration
- BSc (Hons) Nursing (Children's) with NMC Registration
- BSc (Hons) Nursing (Mental Health) with NMC Registration