Fees & Expenses
All rail and air tickets and accommodation must be booked through the Student and Course Administration Team in the Academic Registry. The University will not be able to reimburse travel and accommodation booked independently.
For other expenses, please use the external examiners claims form (pdf).
Claims for expenses incurred by an External Examiner during their appointment with Buckinghamshire New University, must be submitted within 3 months of the date of expense and the original receipts and tickets must be stapled to the claims form. Credit card statements, booking, registration or application forms, cheque stubs etc. do not qualify as receipts. Any claims made outside the 3 month period or claims without receipt will not be reimbursed. Tips or gratuities are not reclaimable. All expenses must be submitted on a claims form and sent to Student and Course Administration for authorisation.
Expenses can be claimed for the following:
- Mileage @ 45p per mile. This rate is in line with current rates paid to University employees. Buckinghamshire New University reviews its rates and decides whether there should be a change for mileage reimbursement. Mileage allowances paid can increase or decrease at any time.
- 2nd Class rail return ticket. Please note it is expected that the return journey will be from and to the same destination unless otherwise authorised by the School prior to the visit. The Student and Course Administration Team will make any arrangements for a rail ticket and the bill will be invoiced directly to the University.
- Car parking charges
- Accommodation up to £100 per night. Student and Course Administration will make any arrangements for an overnight stay and the bill will be invoiced directly to the University.
- Lunch including other refreshment breaks will be paid to a maximum of £10 per day.
- Evening meal up to £30. Alcoholic beverages will not be reimbursed.
If an External Examiner has been appointed from overseas and is required to attend the University, travel expenses will be paid from the point of entry into the UK. If an External Examiner residing in the United Kingdom is required to visit an Institution outside of the United Kingdom all reasonable travel expenses will be reimbursed.
The annual fee payable to each External Examiner is detailed in their appointment letter. The fee structure is determined by the number of credits an External Examiner is responsible for. Should an External Examiner's remit be revised during their appointment the fee will be amended accordingly.
For some subject disciplines, e.g. art and design and some foundation degrees, external examiner arrangements follow a different pattern of engagement. Where this is the case the annual fee will be standardised at £375 and will not be based on the number of credits.
The annual fee will only be paid on receipt of the annual report and confirmation of visits to the University as required by the School.